We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoiding the smoking car on trains

Which Frankfurt hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York, NY
Level Contributor
612 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Avoiding the smoking car on trains

Hello!

On my last (and only) trip to Germany in 2007, I was on a train from Dusseldorf to the airport where at least 3 train cars in a row were for smokers.

Assuming that smoking is still permitted on trains in Germany, could somebody tell me how to know in advance whether a particular train car permits smoking or not? Is there a particular place to stand on the train platform to get the "no smoking car"? What would the sign on the car say in German?

Thanks!

(FYI, I will probably be traveling between Strasbourg, Frankfurt, and Mainz/Wiesbaden.)

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,552 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Avoiding the smoking car on trains

> Assuming that smoking is still permitted on trains in Germany

It is no more permitted. All trains in Germany are non-smoking in the meant time.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,312 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avoiding the smoking car on trains

Just don't stand downwind of the designated square areas for smokers on the train platforms.

3. Re: Avoiding the smoking car on trains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2009, 06:23