We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Frankfurt to Salzburg - Train

Newyork
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Frankfurt to Salzburg - Train

I checked on http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

website and for Frankfurt to Salzburg it shows 49 Euro total for 3 people (2 adults and one 5 year old). It is too good to be true. Any catch.I land at Frankfort Airport. Which station should i choose to go to Salzburg. Which station I need to choose on Salzburg to choose to go to city center. It shows too many options for Salzburg.

Appreciate your help!

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,635 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Frankfurt to Salzburg - Train

Not sure about the price, but you need a train from the airport itself (FF Flughafen or FRA) which is served dirtectly by long distance trains with no need to go in to Frankfurt itself.

Long distance trains stop at the Hauptbahnhof in Salzburg.I think the 5 year old is free so 49 Euros might be correct for the fare - but this will only be valid on the train for which it is booked.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,648 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Frankfurt to Salzburg - Train

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

To: Salzburg

Just use these strings. Keep the defaults. Do NOT select anything from the upcoming drop-down lists.

The stations coming up will be "Frankfurt(M) Flughafen Fernbf" for the far distance train station at Frankfurt Airport and "Salzburg Hbf" for the main train station of Salzburg.

> It is too good to be true. Any catch.I land at Frankfort Airport.

Yes. The ticket is only valid for the connection bought for. It can only be changed/returned for a fee of EUR 15,00 before the day it is valid for. Thus no more on arrival date. Thus if your plane is late you've a problem.

Best deal will be Rail & Fly tickets. In the same price range like the EUR 49,00 specials - but with less restrictions. Valid on arrival day and day after to any train station in Germany (and to Salzburg Hbf). See if the airline you will use to Frankfurt is listed here:

bahn.com/p/view/mdb/pv/mobilit_t/rail_fly_ai…

Rail&Fly can be booked via the offering airline and/or its agents.

For under 6 years olds you need no ticket at all.

Newyork
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Frankfurt to Salzburg - Train

The rail&fly option sounds great. I called lufthansa and checked about this. They said one way ticket 25 euro per person for one way ticket to Salzburg. They are charging 25 euro for 5 year old son too. I thought kids under 6 travel free on German train. I am confused now. Can someone clarify?

Edited: 22 February 2010, 02:58
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,648 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Frankfurt to Salzburg - Train

Don't trust someone. Only the source ;-)

bahn.de/i/…standard_fare.shtml

"Children under 6 always travel for nothing and without a ticket."

In the fine prints elsewhere: children under 6 must not travel alone (OK - who does this?).

Children 6-14 are free with the (grand)parent(s) with a standard fare ticket for far distance trains as long as they are listed on this ticket. When using special tickets this rule does not apply.

If traveling alone they pay a reduced fare (50%).

Newyork
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Frankfurt to Salzburg - Train

Since Lufthansa is insisting on buying ticket for my 6 year old what option do I have?

Can I book it on bahn website (49 euro for all 3 ) on specific train and if I miss the train , can I use my lufthansa boarding pass and treat it as rail&fly ticket and travel on other train without penalty.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,648 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Frankfurt to Salzburg - Train

> Since Lufthansa is insisting on buying ticket for my 6 year old what option do I have?

If your 5 years old is now 6 years he indeeds needs his own Rail&Fly ticket.

> Can I book it on bahn website (49 euro for all 3 ) on specific train and if I miss the train

Yes.

> can I use my lufthansa boarding pass and treat it as rail&fly ticket and travel on other train without penalty.

No.

7. Re: Frankfurt to Salzburg - Train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2010, 05:18