We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VAT Refund, Purchases in Paris, flight departure Frankfurt

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
VAT Refund, Purchases in Paris, flight departure Frankfurt

Hello Fellow TripAdvisors,

I will be flying into Zurich before I spend 2 weeks travelling by train to France, Austria, Italy and finally flying out via Frankfurt Airport. I would like to find out >

1) Is it possible I accumulate all my shopping (assuming it exceeds the minimum amount and is Tax Free) from all those countries and claim my Tax Refund when I fly back to my home country Malaysia from Frankfurt Airport

2) Would it be right to assume that I would loose a small percentage of rebate since Germany's VAT is lower than France ?? or it follows the country of purchase ?

3) How long does the process take to go from Customs to the Global Refund office so I can have an idea how early I need to be at the airport. Do I need to get my boarding pass first, then to Customs ??

Bucket full of thanks in advance.

CStarling

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,088 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: VAT Refund, Purchases in Paris, flight departure Frankfurt

1) Yes, it does not matter from which EU country the purchase was made in, all of your the VAT refund forms can be processed when you depart the EU = at the FRA airport.

2) It follows the country of purchase. The company that processes the VAT refund charges a small fee. Irregardless of in which country the purchase was made, the amount that you will receive will be approximately 1% less than the tax you paid.

3) No idea how long the process may take but, yes, you will need the Boarding Pass before you go to Customs.

The process varies a little from airport to airport but the normal routine is to totally check-in with the airline. Have them tag your luggage and give you a Boarding Pass. If all the VAT merchandise is in your carry-on then the airline keeps the luggage and you proceed to Customs with your Boarding Pass and VAT forms.

If any of the VAT merchandise is in your checked luggage you will need to take the tagged luggage, Boarding Pass and VAT forms to Customs. You return the luggage to the airline check-in when finished.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
15,043 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: VAT Refund, Purchases in Paris, flight departure Frankfurt

In addition to what dougb328 has said, you can visit www.globalrefund.com for information on procedures to be followed. Stuttgart has an interesting free publication "Stuttgart Shopping guide", I'm sure that other cities have them too. Besides shopping and refund information such as the location of refund offices, it has maps and sections on clothes size equivalents, souvenirs, sights and attractions, good places to eat, special events and public transportation, probably more useful than an expensive guidebook.

Edited: 24 April 2010, 17:02
london
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: VAT Refund, Purchases in Paris, flight departure Frankfurt

Hi there,

Just to let you know www.globalrefund.com is now known as www.global-blue.com it now offers shopping destination information on merchants products as well as the usual tax free service and currency choice.

KG
Oregon
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: VAT Refund, Purchases in Paris, flight departure Frankfurt

It took me about 45 minutes at the Frankfurt airport to get my VAT tax back. You have to go to one office- get a stamp and then go to another and then back to get your money. I was determined to do it so just kept asking questions for directions- worth it- I walked out with the cash in hand.

5. Re: VAT Refund, Purchases in Paris, flight departure Frankfurt

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2010, 05:15