We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Layover - is 1hr 15min enough

Santa Rosa Beach...
Level Contributor
74 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Layover - is 1hr 15min enough

Traveling from the US into Frankfurt (via Charlotte, NC on USAirways) and then on to Venice. Plane is scheduled to arrive at 7am and depart for Venice at 815am, do you think we will have enough time or should I opt to go through Rome (arrive 930am; depart 1215pm) instead? Thanks for you assistance.

Tracy

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
15,043 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Layover - is 1hr 15min enough

If this is all on one airline ticket there should be no problem if your plane is on time. If you miss the connection, you should be put on the next flight. Will it arrive before the one from Rome if you transit through there?

Santa Rosa Beach...
Level Contributor
74 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Layover - is 1hr 15min enough

Yep, for an October trip.

Depart FRA 815am Arrive VCE 930am

or

Depart FCO 1215pm Arrive VCE 120pm

Santa Rosa Beach...
Level Contributor
74 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Layover - is 1hr 15min enough

I think US Airways codeshares with Lufthansa so if we miss there is another flight at noon that would get us there at the same time as the flight from Rome:-)

Germany
Level Contributor
322 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Layover - is 1hr 15min enough

I can't really speculate about whether they would really put you on the next flight, for free, if you don't make this ridiculously tight connection, or if there would even be seats available. And I hate to disagree with other colleagues here on Tripadvisor, but I don't think this is very realistic.

Think about the logistics: assuming you are non-EU citizens, upon entering the Schengen area, i.e. Frankfurt, you will have to wait in a big long line along with the other Americans to have your passport inspected/stamped, wait for your luggage, go through customs, then drop your luggage at the transit center (I have never had to actually check in at the main desk if I am continuing on in Europe), and make your way to your departure gate, which I'm not sure but I think is in the same terminal. Immigration will take at least 20 minutes, luggage/redrop another half an hour, you'll need at least 10 minutes to pass customs and make your way to the next gate (distances at Frankfurt are notoriously long), by which time you have already missed last boarding call for Rome.

Maybe it would work for you but my bet is on no.

Edited: 14 May 2010, 22:15
Indy
Level Contributor
146 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Layover - is 1hr 15min enough

1 hour 15 minutes is tight for Frankfurt coming off an intercontinental connection, but I have to disagree with SuzyQ on the baggage drop reclaim. I have flown thru FRA and other european airports numerous times and never had to do this. Your baggage should check thru to your final destination in Europe. I do agree with her on the long distances, even if you are in the Lufthansa terminal, you could easily have a 15 minute walk from gate to gate. If your plane from the USA parks on the apron, add another 10 minutes for taking the bus to the terminal, where you will need to re-clear security. If everything goes OK, 75 minutes is plenty of time, if your plane is 30 minutes late, it's over...

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,932 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Layover - is 1hr 15min enough

I think it is tight too, but my main question is why people are always talking about "customs".

Unless you are importing things, no one ever checks your bag. You get off the plane, quickly show your passport, walk to the luggage carrousel if you have to pick up your bags and walk out the door.

The average time for walking out into the airport is 30-45 min. after landing. If people don't have to pick up bags, have had them emerge after 20 min. or so after landing. Yes, it can sometimes take longer, but 45 min. is the average.

Since the OP does need to get to the next gate, etc. there is probably no way she can make it unless the gates are next to each other. Plan on a later flight.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,043 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Layover - is 1hr 15min enough

I've transited in Frankfurt lots of times. You have absolutely nothing to do with your luggage or customs which will be at your final destination, Venice.

Upon exiting your plane, just follow the transfer signs. (You cannot simply walk to the other gate as arrivals and departures are on secure different levels. It ridiculous even mentioning it as it is impossible to do!!!!) Somewhere along the way you will pass through immigration for transfers only. If there are long lines, there may be a fast track lane which you can use. You can then proceed to your gate. Terminal 1 has 3 wings, A,B,C and between two of them there is a walkway and also a motorized one half way down the wing under the airplane parking area if that would help shorten your walk (and even better immigration-wise as you'll probably be the only person doing this), but your plane should land near the end of one of the wings, and your next plane should depart from close to where the three terminal parts meet together.

Note, it doesn't really make any sense to base your decision on a late arrival, they can be also really late (I've had and seen over 6 hour ones), which no person in their right mind would plan for. The important thing is whether there are convenient later flights if you miss that connection.

Edited: 15 May 2010, 07:16
Germany
Level Contributor
322 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Layover - is 1hr 15min enough

I've looked around other online forums and would say the jury's still out on whether you have to get your baggage or not. But it's clear you go through immigration, which is a pain for non-EU citizens (see comment below re: 3 guys checking passports for the whole mob).

------------------------

ricksteves.com/graffiti/helpline/index.cfm/r… (note: I believe they are technically talking about immigration here, not customs).

"I just have gone through this in November 2006. I also had a 1 hour and 15 minutes between flights. I was flying from Austin TX to Salzburg Austria. I DID have to go through customs in Frankfurt, and I missed my flight to Salzburg! The line at customs at that airport is very long. It took forever to get through it. I had to wait three hours for the next flight to Salzburg. Because I was made to go through customs in Frankfurt, I didn't need to in Salzburg. Going through this was a big pain, but my trip was so wonderful in Salzburg, it was worth going through this to be there. I hope this will be different for you since you are flying on a different flight. But it could be the same since you are flying from the USA to Frankfurt. So be prepared, that you may miss your flight and will need to wait for another flight to Milan...."

"I flew from Portland, OR to Frankfurt in 2006, also transferring planes to Milan. 1.5 hours is NOT enough time - customs was a disaster (our flight and several others trying to get through) and also hot and muggy (apparently the airport is undergoing rennovations, perhaps it's better now). Probably three less-than-friendly guys checking passports for the whole mob. I had 3 hours between flights and although I had plenty of time to get to my gate after customs, I was glad I didn't have to sprint... "

------------------------

IMO another advantage of flying through Rome is that you could always catch a train if you miss ongoing connections and/or there are no seats available on later flights.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,043 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Layover - is 1hr 15min enough

Two instances where there were problems or potentially could have been. And did those people delay along the way? But how about the many thousands of other passengers who never have any problems and never mention it. Most passengers on planes are not transfers but are actually arriving at Frankfurt, they use other immigration lines. I've transited Frankfurt 30-40 times and never have had a problem if my plane arrived on time if within the airline allowed transfer time. I admit more time is better, but in most instances that is an adequate time. To the US from Europe is however different as you have to go through a secondary screening process that can be almost an hour in itself.

As Bornheimgirl stated, there are no custom lines at the airport, people just walk freely out of the nothing to declare lines and never actually ever deal with an actual customs agent. Anywhere in the world, immigration always precedes customs, and that is what people have to deal with. The Schengen regulations are quite clear that you pass immigration at your point of arrival in the area, and customs at your final destination.

UK
Level Contributor
223 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Layover - is 1hr 15min enough

Also be aware that with the ongoing Iceland volcano eruption, flights from USA can be delayed. It isn't necessairly going to affect FRA directly but there could be a big ash cloud over the middle of the Atlantic which may necessitate rerouting!