We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental at Frankfurt Airport

Otopeni, Romania
2 posts
Save Topic
Car rental at Frankfurt Airport

Hello

I'll be in Frankfurt at the end of the month and i'm looking to rent a car for 3 days.

Which one of the companies that are located at the airport have the best service? Should I go with Avis? Sixt? Or another company? because there are some scary stories on the net regarding car rentals.

Also, I'm planning a one day trip to luxembourg. Is there any problem using the car? Although there are different countries there are both inside the EU, members of the Schengen Zone.

Thank you

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,493 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental at Frankfurt Airport

Driving to Luxenburg is no problem unless you are planning to rent a Porsche or similar in which case you mey not be allowed to leave Germany.

I have mostly used Hertz untill now as I find their prices the best and the cars are fine. Whoever you use check your car for damage on pickup and get a receipt when you return it

Sierra Vista, AZ
Level Contributor
3 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental at Frankfurt Airport

contact gemut.com

they will probably give you the best deal.

you pay them in dollars.

at least log on to their site and see what they have to offer

I used them my last trip to Europe and will use again in Seip

Sonoma County, CA
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental at Frankfurt Airport

This might be too late because the end of the month is closing in, but I have a few comments:

(1) gemut.com is a good way to go. I think they ultimately go thru Avis, but will get you the best deal and it can be canceled at any time until ~2 hours before pickup. EuropCar and Sixt are pretty comparably priced.

(2) There is a significant surcharge when you pick up a car at an airport or train station in Germany.You will save loads if you take a 15 minute taxi ride to a nearby Avis/Europcar lot. I know when we rented a VW van for three weeks a few years ago it was a savings of ~$300.

(3) Check with your car insurance company and credit card company about their recommendations for what insurance to get. Typically your credit card will provide sufficient coverage and you will save $$ by not buying their extra packages.

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental at Frankfurt Airport

Sixt has great cars plus great service. But also they are very punctual in time so if you arrive just 30 minutes late charge of another day.

5. Re: Car rental at Frankfurt Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 December 2010, 05:16