We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way from Berlin to Rhine (Bacharach) : flight or train?

Which Frankfurt hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
184 reviews
Save Topic
Best way from Berlin to Rhine (Bacharach) : flight or train?

Hello,

I will be traveling from Berlin to Bacharach in August (either Wednesday or Thursday) and looking for best option.

I though that the train would be the best option but looking at bahn.de I can only see trains departing fairly late (12:22PM) and arriving at Bacharash at 18:26!! so I've lost the day.

Flights are faster (10:20-11:30) and I think it's an hourly train that takes 1 to 1.5h to Bacharach (same time to drive)

Any advice? any early departure I am not aware of??

Thanks

Wiesbaden, Germany
Level Contributor
81 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way from Berlin to Rhine (Bacharach) : flight or train?

There are fast trains from Berlin to Frankfurt approximately 20-30 mins apart, and you could start your journey much earlier in the day

eg. depart Berlin 8.31am

arrive Bacharach 2:55pm.

There are earlier trains too.

Make sure when you test a train schedule on the DB website that you change the date and time on the journey-seeking calendar. Otherwise whe default will always be the present date/time, which is perhaps why your search didn't show trains before 12:22pm.

Flights always involve time lost in travel to the airport, security queues, being at the arrival gate one hour before the flight, baggage collection...

I think the train is the better option.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way from Berlin to Rhine (Bacharach) : flight or train?

Thank you for the quick response and details! I actually just fgured it out too.

I see an 8:18 departure with an arrival at 14:26 in Bacharach on Auh 25th (for some reason I don't see the 14:55 you are reffering to).

I have two questions:

1) How early do I need to be at the Berlin train station? I will pick up tickets the day before (I assume it is doable)

2) I have 4 min connection in Bingen. is it manageable? I assume it's a small station. And I think it has hourly trains so if I miss one we'll just grab next one?

Thanks

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,928 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way from Berlin to Rhine (Bacharach) : flight or train?

1) If you want to buy a discounted ticket you have to do it now online. Standard fare tickets will be always available. And you can buy such a ticket also the day before.

Generally you need at the platform before the train departs. Better when it arrives (normally 1-2 minutes earlier). If you reserve a seat a few minutes more won't harm that you can check on the displays on the platform where your car you have the reserved seat in will stop and go to this part of the platform.

2) The tracks 102 and 103 share the same platform. Crossing a platform (maybe 6 - 10 meters) is certainly doable in 4 minutes. The route to Bacharach is indeed served hourly.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way from Berlin to Rhine (Bacharach) : flight or train?

thanks. I'll go ahead and book now.

One last question: since there are many train stations in Berlin, and I don't know where my hotel will be located, should I just go ahead a book Berlin Hbf, even if I board at another station?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,928 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way from Berlin to Rhine (Bacharach) : flight or train?

The Berlin Hbf dep 08:18 trains start at Berlin Ostbahnhof at 08:08. I would buy from there. Same price. And you can still board the train at Berlin Hbf if this will be the better option for you.

Edited: 29 May 2011, 23:09
6. Re: Best way from Berlin to Rhine (Bacharach) : flight or train?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2012, 06:22