We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can Tight Airport Connection be Made

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
2,067 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
Can Tight Airport Connection be Made

I have found a really good air fare for a flight from Johannesburg to Lisbon connecting in Frankfurt. The flight from JNB is on BMI operated by Lufthansa connecting to a Lufthansa flight in Frankfurt operated by TAP Portugal. The connection time is only 50 minutes. Is that enough? Do I have to go through customs and immigration in Frankfurt to transfer to Lisbon? Thank you.

Wiesbaden, Germany
Level Contributor
81 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can Tight Airport Connection be Made

That is too tight.

You are supposed to be at the gate no less than 40 mins before an inner-European flight.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
643 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can Tight Airport Connection be Made

Once we were told by a travel agent that a connection time of 45 minutes to 1 hour could be done. We tried it from another city but our flight was late on arrival. Spent more than 1/2 day in airport transits trying to get back home. Never tried it a 2nd time.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,545 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Can Tight Airport Connection be Made

Minimum transfer time at Frankfurt Airport is 45 minutes. Thus tight but possible. Otherwise the airlines won't sell you this connection. If you miss the 2nd flight this is inconvenient for you but for the airline it's expensive (your empty seat on the 2nd flight which they cannot resell, your seat on the flight they have to put you on to get you to Lisbon, in worst case even an overnight stay).

Of course this will only work if your 1st plane is on time. But I see no reason not to give it a try.

Immigration will be in Frankfurt, customs in Lisbon as your luggage will be automatically transfered onto the plane to Lisbon.

Wiesbaden, Germany
Level Contributor
81 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can Tight Airport Connection be Made

I'm not sure that this person is buying their connecting flights from a travel agent, but rather they are trying to book the two flights separately. If so, they would have to collect bags between flights, wouldn't they? And this would make the connection time inadequate.

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
2,067 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can Tight Airport Connection be Made

Good thought, but no I am looking at booking through Orbitz on one ticket I assume. Thanks.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,664 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can Tight Airport Connection be Made

If you follow the transfer signs at the airport, along the way you will pass through a special transfer immigration. They may have a fast-track lane that you can use as you have a tight connection. After it, you are free to proceed to your gate. (Note that arrivals and departures are on different levels of the airport, so you just cannot proceed directly to your gate.)

I take it that you will have the necessary boarding card in hand which should be given to you at your departure airport. I would try to be one of the first off the plane, and then run through the airport following those transfer signs.

There should also be a Frankfurt Airport plan in your in-flight magazine, take it with you as you might possibly be able to take a shortcut under the airplane parking area between parts of Terminal 1 (I believe the A and B parts), and if so, that immigration line will also be shorter as few people will use it.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
55 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can Tight Airport Connection be Made

abalada is right. But you have to take a risk. Last time I took a flight from Frankfurt to Hong Kong via Amsterdam. The connection time was 55 minutes. The first flight was late by 25 minutes, so I had only 30 minutes connection time. The sign in the transit hall showed that it took 17 mins to reach my gate. Who knows when they will close the gate. I had to run 15 minutes (I am an old lady) and was out of breath to reach the gate. There were passengers behind me and the plane waited for them. But it's all too risky.

8. Re: Can Tight Airport Connection be Made

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 19:16