We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

12 Hour Layover

U.S.
Level Contributor
21 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
12 Hour Layover

Any suggestions for sightseeing and eating? Thanks in advance.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
2,532 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 12 Hour Layover

We had 10 hours on the way to South Africa. We showered at the airport (not at a hotel) and took the train to Mainz. It offers a lot of things to do (Roman to modern) and eat in a small area. Others will recommend Frankfurt (where I lived for a year). It's fine too but more international.

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,894 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 12 Hour Layover

It depends on what interests you and when you will be here. There are a ton of festivals going on in the summer and early fall, there are Farmers Markets on most days of the week that are fun to eat at. If you will be here on a weekday or Sat. then plan on visiting the Klein Markt Halle, and indoor produce market. Nice little restaurant above it serving very traditional Frankfurt style food at a great price.

Do you want to see historical stuff, medieval churches, museums, art, etc.?

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,543 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 12 Hour Layover

I'd spend the time in Frankfurt (which I loved).

Maybe take the Frankfurt on Foot walking tour at 10.30, which "hits" a lot of the highlights, then continue on your own.

You can taste your way through the Klein Markt Halle, then sit down for a beer.

As Bornheimgirl said, tell us more about your interests.

4. Re: 12 Hour Layover

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 15:18