We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train question from airport to Nurmberg

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Topic
Train question from airport to Nurmberg

I purchased the SWT ticket online, and we want to take 08:19 departure on Jun 2. Its said the platform 6.

Qs.1 Do I take the skyline to term.1 and go down to level 0 to catch the train? Or term.1 take the skyline to the main train station then to the level 0?

Qs.2 Is ICE S-bahn train?

Qs.3 Is Gleis means platform?

Qs. Do they accept credit card when purchase train ticket from the machine?

Thank you in advance.

Karen

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,588 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train question from airport to Nurmberg

You can take the Skyline to T1, then go down to the main terminal floor, out towards the front and follow signs to the Fernbahnhof or Regional bahnhof. Or you can take the shuttle bus from outside T2 to just outside T1 and then to the station from there (easier).

ICE is Inter City Express, so it is not an S Bahn which is an all stations local train. If you have a Schoenes Wochenende ticket you can't catch an ICE (or any other train that stops at the Fernbahnhof).

Gleis means track, but for catching a train it means the same think as platform in English.

DB machines take credit cards for long distance trains, but probably only ones with an embedded chip.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,577 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train question from airport to Nurmberg

> take 08:19 departure on Jun 2. Its said the platform 6.

You cannot use this train - an ICE train - with your SWT. SWT covers only regional trains. On this route: S-Bahn (to get to the main train station), RB or RE trains. In Nuremberg the SWT covers also the U-Bahn (metro), trams and buses.

Frankfurt S-Bahn

…imageshack.us/img444/4296/423452west.jpg

RE train Frankfurt - Nuremberg (double decker rail cars are however no must)

http://www.bahnbilder.de/name/einzelbild/number/521723/kategorie/Deutschland~E-Loks~BR+146+mit+Zugen.html

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Start: FRA FrankfurtAirport

Destination: Nürnberg Hbf

and select as means of transport "only local transport" if you want to travel on a SWT.

Q1: Yes. As long you arrive at Terminal 2.

Q2:

ICE = InterCityExpress - the highspeed trains of DB

S-Bahn are suburban commuter trains. They call at every train station en route. Both trains mark the opposite ends of the trains operated by DB.

Q3: in principle yes

- only for DB tariff tickets, but not for local public transport association tickets like Frankfurt Airport to Frankfurt (you don't need this as covered by your SWT)

- as there is no means of security for DB (no PIN, no card code, no signature) there are rather strict checks in the background. Thus you never know - esp. with cards from abroad - if the machines will really accept *your* credit card.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train question from airport to Nurmberg

Could you please clerify am I able to use this ticket(already bought. It said and not refund if cancelled) to Nurnberg?

What should I do in my case? Should I buy a different ticket. And which one should I buy.. I got confused now.

Karen

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,577 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Train question from airport to Nurmberg

You can use your SWT to travel to Nuremberg if you use regional trains. S-Bahn from the airport to Frankfurt Hauptbahnhof, RE train from there. Nothing wrong with this.

We just wanted to tell you that you must not use an ICE train (or an IC/EC train) with the SWT as this ticket is not valid for these types of trains.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Train question from airport to Nurmberg

ok, thanks alot.. hope everything goes smooth on the trip.

Karen

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,610 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train question from airport to Nurmberg

If you want to see exactly which trains you can take using your SWT ticket, go to dbahn.de (choose english option) and enter your departure (Frankfurt Flug) and arrival (Nuremburg) - your date and time, and click the "local transport box". This will show trains that you can take with your SWT.

I would either print out the routing or write it down - a few different ones in case your incoming flight is late or something - that way when you get to Frankfurt, you don't have to worry about what train to take - just refer to your notes.

Looks like you'll take the S8 into Franfurt main station, then a regional train to Wuerzburg and another regional train onto Nurembug. If you get the 9:02 departure from the airport, you will be in Nurembug at 12:54. So this is longer than the ICE train and you have to change trains, but you'll get to Nuremburg just fine.

Something else I wanted to mention - your Question 1 about exactly how to get to the S-Bahn station - I would not even worry about those details. Just know that you need to get to the S-Bahn station and follow the signs. It is an international airport - there will be signs galore. And if the signs aren't enough, ask - people will tell you where you need to go. I find that if I try to nail down too many details, the details spin out of control and the trip is stressful.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Train question from airport to Nurmberg

I will take your words for it. thanks again to albalada, november moon and railenthusiast.

Edited: 31 May 2012, 19:17
8. Re: Train question from airport to Nurmberg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 15:41