We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Frankfurt Airport Pet Reief Areas

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
647 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Frankfurt Airport Pet Reief Areas

We are arriving from Newark to Frankfurt and then catching a connecting flight to Zurich. We will have our Jack Russell terrier in cabin with us. Are there pet relief areas at Frankfurt Airport?

Oops, sorry about the misspelling on my question line.

Edited: 30 July 2012, 21:27
Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
8,595 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Frankfurt Airport Pet Reief Areas

I have never noticed one nor have I seen any sign for it. But you will have to clear immigration and leave the secure area anyway. Therefore you can step outside the terminal and look for a suitable spot.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
647 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Frankfurt Airport Pet Reief Areas

Thanks. We go through immigration at Frankfurt rather than our end destination in Zurich?

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
1,209 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Frankfurt Airport Pet Reief Areas

While I've not noticed the sign when travelling through FRA, the United site for Frankfurt Airport shows the Animal Relief Area symbol and they are part of the Star Alliance as is Lufthansa so I'm absolutely sure you will be accomodated. We haven't transited FRA with our Jack Russel as he is a bit too old for the battery of shots required for Germany but he's been to Prague with us 3 times and loved every minute of the trip. And the Flight Attendants in the Business Cabin weren't aware we had a sherpa until arrival. Love those Jackies!

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
647 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Frankfurt Airport Pet Reief Areas

snydley,

We do love our Jacks (we have 4). We are flying business class with Lufthansa. Did you have any issues with checking in and weight of your Jack? We had Thor with us when we went to Vienna over Christmas...he loved that trip and he was admired by everybody in Vienna and Salzurg.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
1,209 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Frankfurt Airport Pet Reief Areas

I've only had one problem traveling with "Motsie" which was one over-zealous airline agent in Prague that stated pets have to be able to stand up and turn around in their kennels which is kinda right, if he were to be checked as luggage, something I would NEVER do. The only requirement for Pet in Cabin is they are comfortable and fit under the seat in front of you. So I asked for a Supervisor and they sent one who made me set the Sherpa down and little Motsie promptly stood up and turned around for them. It was a bit of a "dog and pony show" without the pony and little Motsie had the last word! He is a full sized Jack and weighs just 20lbs Sherpa and all plus he loves to travel! He is just about the best traveling companion one could ask for but please don't tell my wife! ;-D

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
647 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Frankfurt Airport Pet Reief Areas

snydley,

Thanks for the information our Thor is around 17 -18 pounds. He also loves to travel and, of course, being the ONLY dog with us (the others are quite jealous when we leave). Did you fly Lufthansa on any of your journeys with Motsie? They were very nice to Thor on our last flight with them (he charmed them as usual). Thor is definitely our "Travel Gnome" and is a fantastic traveler to have with us.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
1,209 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Frankfurt Airport Pet Reief Areas

Sorry, haven't flown Lufthansa with Motsie but from our experience dogs are quite popular with and locals who normally would never speak to strangers can become quite friendly. I am fascinated by the fact that well behaved dogs are welcome in pubs and restaurants, something which is totally taboo in the US. Have a great trip!

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
647 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Frankfurt Airport Pet Reief Areas

Yes, when we were in Vienna and Salzburg we took him to all the restaurants where he was warmly welcomed with a bowl of water and treats. With Thor along we had so many more conversations with locals than I can recall on any of our previous trips. Jacks are great ambassadors of good will! Now he will be seeing a brief bit of Zurich, then on to the Austrain Alps and Italy.

9. Re: Frankfurt Airport Pet Reief Areas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 August 2013, 10:17