We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train to Strasbourg

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
996 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Train to Strasbourg

Thanks to all the wonderful contributors that have wised me up on the great train system and how it works, I am needing just a bit more clarification on a train trip Frankfurt to Strasbourg on a Sunday. Arriving FRA airport at 6.50am.

I can see it is much cheaper to buy in advance online (DB website), booking to Kehl (thanks to all who explained that!).

The first suitable train seems to be at 9.53am, but it shows 2.5 hours of travel with 1 change ( where is the change ?) the train with 2 changes is showing a 2 hour trip ...am I misreading something? Why a shorter journey with 2 changes?

Also, does one buy the Kehl to Strasbourg leg of the journey on the train or at the airport train station?

Lastly, do I need to reserve a seat or is my ticket a seat guarantee?

Much obliged for any help.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,176 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train to Strasbourg

> Why a shorter journey with 2 changes?

Faster trains.

Click on the '>' symbol to see the details for a connection. Like where to change trains.

> Also, does one buy the Kehl to Strasbourg leg of the journey on the train

Possible - but the more expensive option.

> or at the airport train station?

Possible.

You can also change in Kehl to the Strasbourg city bus line #21.

www.cts-strasbourg.fr/LinkClick.aspx…

> Lastly, do I need to reserve a seat

No. (Apart from the TGV trains from Karlsruhe to Strasbourg).

> or is my ticket a seat guarantee?

No. (Apart from the TGV trains from Karlsruhe to Strasbourg).

You can buy a seat reservation (EUR 4,00). But on a Sunday morning you should do well without.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
996 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train to Strasbourg

Abalada... thank you.

Very helpful (better than any website ....!)

3. Re: Train to Strasbourg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 November 2013, 10:17