We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Germany by auto

Which Frankfurt hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
c w
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Germany by auto

Planned a trip to Germany in February. Landing in Frankfurt and returning home from Geneva 8 days later. Any recommendations as to the highlights we should see on our way to Geneva?

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Germany by auto

Hi,

Here's a route that may work for you:

http://goo.gl/maps/SfjuL

Heidelberg - Karlsruhe - Triberg (Black Forest) - Konstanz - Luzern - Interlaken - Geneva

My concern would be driving in the snow through the Black Forest and through Switzerland in February, especially on some of the secondary roads.

You may also check with the car rental agency to confirm that they will allow you to do a one-way rental, dropping the car in a different country. Winter tires are mandatory in Germany when there's snow, and some car rental companies include them in the price of the rental; others charge extra.

Also, to drive in Switzerland, the car needs a toll vignette properly attached to the windshield. It will cost you 40 CHF (Swiss Francs):

…admin.ch/zollinfo_privat/…

I made my fourth trip to Germany last month and it was the first time that I gave up a car and used trains and public transportation. Even though I grew up in the Midwest and have experience driving in winter conditions, I didn't want the hassle, stress, and worry of driving a rental car on snow or ice, with the increased chances of an accident.

Yes, I missed the flexibility that having a car gave me, but it was a more relaxing trip. Plus, I was in larger cities where driving and parking would have been a challenge anyway.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,340 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Germany by auto

You will probably face a hefty one way Intl. drop off charge. It might be woth dropping the car in Germany by Basle and using the train to Geneva.

I drove around Switzerland last Winter in the snow and there was no problem on the bigger roads and that was after 50cm snow fall.

A night or two in Alsace with the lovely wine villages might be of interest

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Germany by auto

The Swiss vignette (toll sticker) is only necessary if you are using the autobahns.

USA
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Germany by auto

Also, the international dropoff fee might or might not be large. We were quoted only $100 dropoff fee for a car we picked up in Munich and wanted to drop in Zurich.

5. Re: Germany by auto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2014, 06:17