We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Frankfurt international airport to Frankfurt main

Which Frankfurt hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
Level Contributor
11 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Frankfurt international airport to Frankfurt main

I am landing at Frankfurt airport and need to make my way to hamburger hof hotel opposite Frankfurt main to take the ice train to Paris the next day. My question is - is there a train from the airport to frankfurt main? Also I have to fly out of Frankfurt a month later back to Melbourne so I thought I would come back and check out the city. Worth doing? Does anyone know of a good, central guest house?

Thanks for your comments in advance

Edited: 10 January 2013, 08:50
kilda73
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Frankfurt international airport to Frankfurt main

Hi Anne, the S-Bahn goes about every 15min from the airport to the city and back.

Check yourself on the website of the regional transport:

www.rmv.de/airport/verbindungsauskunft.html…

Boppard, Germany
Destination Expert
for Boppard
Level Contributor
1,663 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Frankfurt international airport to Frankfurt main

There are 2 railway stations in the airport. Go to the Regionalbahnhof in the basement of terminal 1. There are local trains (S trains and others) to Frankfurt (Main) Hbf (the main station) every few minutes. Tickets must be bought from RMV ticket machines and currently cost € 4.25. Most of the S-Bahn trains will stop in the basement of the main station at "Frankfurt (Main) Hauptbahnhof tief" and continue to the city center.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,573 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Frankfurt international airport to Frankfurt main

Frankfurt(Main) = Frankfurt at the (river) Main

to distinguish it from Frankfurt an der Oder, a city on the German-Polish border. The name of the river Main has nothing to do with the English word "main".

The central or main train station is called Hauptbahnhof in German. Short: Hbf.

Frankfurt Tourism

frankfurt-tourismus.de/cms/…home.html

AMRITSAR
Level Contributor
41 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Frankfurt international airport to Frankfurt main

Since I shall be landing at Frankfort Airport and would be heading to Cologne Hbf. I have already booked a discounted ticket in advance that is Frankfurt Hbf. to Cologne Hbf. I would like to kinow whether I can board from Frankfurt Airport or I have to go to Frankfyrt Hbf. to board from there as I have already mentioned my booked ticket is from Frankfurt Hbf. to Cologne Hbf . ? Guidance will be highly appreciated .

RANVIR MEHRA

Homer, Alaska
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Frankfurt international airport to Frankfurt main

FYI,shortcut, to hotel from Frankfurt hbf, we stayed last month at intercity hotel which is next door to Hamburger hof. when you leave your train go towards front of station where all the food stands are and turn left. doorway there goes out to side street that you cross and hamburger hof is just to left 3 or 4 bldgs down. Very easy short walk.

Hanau, Germany
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Frankfurt international airport to Frankfurt main

If the train you booked stopps at the airport you can get on there, no need to go to the Hbf first.

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
300 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Frankfurt international airport to Frankfurt main

I have very little experience here, but might the OP lose her reserved seats if she boarded at the airport rather than at the main train station? (Assuming she has booked specific seats.) Is there not a time limit after departure for occupying reserved seats? Would the Hbf to airport fit within this timeframe?

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
3,830 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Frankfurt international airport to Frankfurt main

I think you have 15 minutes to take your seat until your reservation experies.

I think that might still fit in the time frame. In case somebody asks just tell them you were looking for your seat the past 15 minutes and couldn't find it....That's totally understandable if visitors from abroad say that.

AMRITSAR
Level Contributor
41 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Frankfurt international airport to Frankfurt main

I once again request you to guide me since I will be landing at Frankfurt I nternational Airport and from there I would like to proceed directly to COLOGNE by Train. Can I directly book my Train ticket in advance from Frankfurt Airport to Cologne ? Please advise .

RANVIR MEHRA

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Frankfurt international airport to Frankfurt main

There are direct ICE trains from Frankfurt Airport to Cologne.

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Start: FRA FrankfurtAirport

Destination : Köln Hbf