We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

German touring plans this summer, need advice???

Utah
Level Contributor
21 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
German touring plans this summer, need advice???

My husband and I will be traveling with our 2 children, (ages 10 and 12) in June to Germany. We will be with family outside of Frankfurt for a few days, but then traveling onto other sites. What do you think of this itinerary??? We are renting a car.

Heidelberg---3 days

Stuttgart--2 days

Lake Edersee--2 days

Then maybe 3 or 4 days in Salzburg, Austria

Fly home from Munich

I have never traveled to either country and would love any input.

Thanks!

Frankfurt on Foot Walking Tours
Walking Tours, City Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Frankfurt Airport Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours
ETS Sightseeing Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
PMK Day Tour
Sightseeing Tours
Portland, Oregon USA
Level Contributor
2,729 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: German touring plans this summer, need advice???

Too many days in Heidelberg unless you plan on taking some daytrips to some sights in the area. You can "do" Heidelberg in one day. If your children are boys, the technical museums at Sinsheim and/or Speyer would be an excellent daytrip from Heidelberg. Do a search on Google for "Speyer Technik" to get to their websites.

I'd add one of the days chopped off Heidelberg to Stuttgart. The Mercedes and Porsche museums are worth seeing. There are also a couple of good daytrips close by. Switch to the "Stuttgart" forum and you see a number of posts by Marcopolko touting Stuttgart. Check one out for good information about the city and surroundings.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,925 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: German touring plans this summer, need advice???

I would replace the Edersee it is near Kassel way to the north of Frankfurt and everywhere else is South. How about a lake in Bavaria or lake Constance which is south of Stuutgart.

Utah
Level Contributor
21 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: German touring plans this summer, need advice???

Thank you both for your response. Such good information to know that 3 days would be too many in Heidelberg.

Also, I appreciate your information on Edersee. The reason I chose it, is because of a castle I would really like to stay at. Lake Constance is a good idea. Do you have any good suggestions on hotels/castles in that area?

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,925 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: German touring plans this summer, need advice???

Have a look at www.hrs.de hotels in Meersburg ,Lindau ,Konstanz. Be warned when it gives a distance it is as a bird flies,that can be over water too!

5. Re: German touring plans this summer, need advice???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2014, 06:20