We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Frankfurt Arrival Advice

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,919 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Frankfurt Arrival Advice

We are arriving into Frankfurt in March, on a flight which lands at 5:25am. We have a train departing Frankfurt Hbf at 09:01am;

1. Is that sufficient time?

2. If it is more than sufficient, how best to freshen up after a long haul flight, and where.

3. We are travelling with a 18 mth old child, so any additional travel advice would be appreciated, including child seat laws for taxis

Thank you so much

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Frankfurt Arrival Advice

Are you on Qantas 5 from SYD? :D

I came in on that flight at the end of December, arrived at 5:25 and made a train at 6:35, but I almost missed it. But that was from the airport's train station. You'd have to get to the Hbf first by taking a train from the airport's "Regoinal station". Check schedules at www.bahn.com

To: Frankfurt(Main)Hbf

So if the flight is on time, it's probably gonna take 45-60 minutes until you've cleared immigration, collected your bags and cleared customs. (you have to wait ages for your bags in Frankfurt...) Leaving you a lot of time to get to the Hbf. But I wouldn't book any "saving fares" in advance, because if your flight is delayed and you miss your train, you won't get a refund for your ticket. But....you do have a lot of time, so you are probably gonna make it unless your flight is delayed by two or more hours.

You might want to check if your airlines offers Rail & Fly tickets, that would be your best deal, because those are flexible, like standard fare tickets.

Where do you want to go anyway?

I wouldn't leave for the Hbf train station earlier than 8 am. It's nicer to spend the time at the airport. Maybe at a cafe.

Car seats are required for kids under 12 and 150 cm. No exceptions for taxis.

Taxis will only have booster seats for taller kids, car seats for toddlers have to be "pre-arranged". I don't know how to do that at an airport, though. Maybe they have some at the airport's taxi office....I have no idea. In case you wanted to take that taxi from the airport to the Hbf, you could avoid that problem by taking a train...(15 min train ride)

I hope you're gonna enjoy your trip to Germany / Europe.

Edited: 26 January 2013, 20:53
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,659 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Frankfurt Arrival Advice

Train to Paris? Frankfurt airport to Mannheim Hbf would have been more direct than via Frankfurt Hbf.

Time is however sufficient. There are showers etc at Frankfurt airport.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,919 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Frankfurt Arrival Advice

Wow, you guys are the indeed the best.

Yes it's the QF5 from SYD!

This is by far the most concise and informative response I've received. The tip about staying at the airport instead of rushing to Frankfurt Hbf is brilliant, as I would have assumed earlier the better, so I greatly appreciate that.

I've unfortunately already purchased the 'advanced saver' ticket, as at the time, we figured that if we miss the train, the cost of another ticket would only be slightly more. At the time of the purchase, the Flexi Fare was almost quadruple the cost.

We will definitely take the train to Hbf, not a taxi.

And yes, we are going to Paris!

We deliberately chose to fly into Frankfurt rather than fly direct to Paris, as we will be passing back through Germany before our return -which was the reason for the asking about the child seat.

Thank you all again, absolutely brilliant.

Cheers!

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Frankfurt Arrival Advice

You're welcome.

It's actually going to be rather expensive if you miss the train, because you have to pay the flexi fare in addition to the ticket you already have. But I wouldn't think about it, it's very, very likely that you are gonna make that train unless you have a lot of bad luck on your side.

I'd recommend that you arrive 30 minutes prior to departure at the train station, that leaves you enough time to find the platform. Make sure you are familiar with the schedule between the airport and the Hbf.

As your train begins in Frankfurt you might be able to board it like 15 minutes before departure time.

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,836 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Frankfurt Arrival Advice

Many taxis will have car seats, so if you are traveling with suitcases, child, and stroller, taking a taxi may just be more efficient. When you go out to the taxi line, just indicate you want one that has a car seat. Price is going to be about 35 euro, train fare would be 8.60 euro, so a bit more, but when you are coming off a long flight, and you do have a bit of a time constraint, go for the easiest way.

If you arrive on time, the showers are on the upper level, in Arrivals A. Cost is 6 euro per person and you get towels and soap. Very clean area.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,919 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Frankfurt Arrival Advice

"Many taxis will have car seats, so if you are traveling with suitcases, child, and stroller, taking a taxi may just be more efficient. When you go out to the taxi line, just indicate you want one that has a car seat. Price is going to be about 35 euro, train fare would be 8.60 euro, so a bit more, but when you are coming off a long flight, and you do have a bit of a time constraint, go for the easiest way"

Brilliant thank you so much Bornheimgirl, I really appreciate the taxi advice.

It will be handy to know if we are pressed for time, and also on our return.

It may just be more suitable if we are pressed for time, as it would save us having to go from one terminal to the other, then down to the train station.

Also on our return we arrive from Amsterdam by train into Frankfurt and staying at the Jumeirah Frankfurt. I've been advised to catch a train to Hauptwache. From the station, is the hotel easy to find?

Also, I remember many years ago, I was walking in th city and saw a really large statue of a bull. Is this correct and is it still in Frankfurt?

Thank you again!

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,836 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Frankfurt Arrival Advice

The Jumeirah hotel is right next to the Hauptwache station.

The Bull and the Bear are in front of the Frankfurt Stock Exchange, right around the corner from the Jumeirah.

I take it you are arriving in Terminal 2? If so, then yes, I would just jump in a taxi.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,919 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Frankfurt Arrival Advice

Thank you so much again Bornheimgirl, I greatly appreciate your advice!

Yes, arriving into terminal 2.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Frankfurt Arrival Advice

If you have enough time and you do want to take the train instead, there is a bus from Terminal 2 to the train station that departs every 15 minutes just outside the terminal, very close to where you will come out from the Qantas flight.

There is also a sky train from Terminal 2 to 1. T1 has more to offer, so if you have a lot of spare time, that's where you want to go.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,919 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Frankfurt Arrival Advice

Thank you so much YoungTraveler, that's fantastic advice!

We have been giving it much thought and it will depend entirely on our actual arrival time. But most definitely, we will probably go spend time in T1, if we arrive on time, as advised, as we don't want to be stuck at the Hbf too early.

One last question.

As we had already purchased our train ticket to Paris, and our seats allocated, is it possible to have our seat allocation changed at Frankfurt Hbf, either at the First Class lounge or ticket office?

The reason why we ask is that our seats are allocated three across (41, 43, 45) rather than two facing one (43, 45, 46).

Thank you again!