We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train travel from Frankfurt to Paris

Halifax, Canada
4 posts
Save Topic
Train travel from Frankfurt to Paris

Just wondering if anyone has experience with travelling from Frankfurt to Paris by train? We are planning to fly into Frankfurt in June. We are looking at travelling from the Frankfurt airport to Paris est station, but cannot find any posted fares.

Specifically, if anyone has input concerning:

-cost

-ease of travel

- approximate time required between flight arrival & train bording

- 1st vs. 2nd class

it would be greatly appreciated!

32 replies to this topic
Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train travel from Frankfurt to Paris

Hi Melissa,

You can use www.bahn.de to book your train from Frankfurt to Paris. However, fares aren't posted until 92 days before the travel date.

Enter:

To: Paris Est

Current fares for trips are running from 69 € to 120 € for the "Savings Fare" or the "Standard Fare." For the best deal, book the savings fare right at the 92 day mark; they go up as you get closer to the travel date.

When you purchase a savings fare, you MUST ride the specific train(s) that you booked. A standard fare allows flexibility. That can come into play if your flight is delayed, so make sure you allow enough time. If you miss that specific train, you're buying another ticket.

You will be required to reserve a seat when you purchase your ticket.

Depending on the route that you select, the journey will last from 3:55 to 7:52, and you will have to change trains at least once.

I rode in first class from Vienna to Frankfurt in December and, in retrospect, I don't think it was worth the additional cost. Second class is just fine.

There are luggage storage areas at the end of the coach, or you can store your luggage in a rack over your seat. If you have a lot of luggage, storing it and getting it off the train and carrying it through the station to meet your next train (sometimes in less than 10 minutes), could be a challenge. Pack light.

Here are guides on riding trains in Europe:

www.gettingaroundgermany.info/bahn.shtml

http://www.seat61.com/

Traveling by train is a little easier than flying, as you don't have to arrive at the station early to go through security check points.

The other thing that I enjoy about train travel is you actually get to see Germany and France from eye level, not from 30,000 feet.

Hope that helps.

Halifax, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train travel from Frankfurt to Paris

Thanks so much! This was very helpful:)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,240 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train travel from Frankfurt to Paris

Hi,

I haven't as yet but I'm travelling in three weeks.

I paid €138 for two adults and one child first class

Edited: 09 February 2013, 21:59
New York, NY
Level Contributor
70 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train travel from Frankfurt to Paris

I purchased a second-class ticket for €39, departing in early April. I like the trip a lot. Pretty fast and easy.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train travel from Frankfurt to Paris

We did Paris to Frankfurt in December and found it was worth the extra 30 Euros to travel first class. The far price includes a meal which is served at your seat. There is also plenty of room for luggage if it is required. Bahn.com is an excellent site and is much cheaper than using a booking agent. We chose a quiet zone and a seat with a table which gave us a 6 seat compartment. Gare L'Est has direct access to the Metro so Paris is at your doorstep as soon as you get off the train.

We arrived an hour before departure time which was planty of time. Passengers are often boarding up to a few minutes before departure and we still left on time.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Train travel from Frankfurt to Paris

We made this trip several times and I agree with you that the 1st class ticket is not worth the added cost for what you get, 2nd class is just as good. We did change trains in Metz but I think you can go direct from Frankfurt to paris without changing trains.

Have fun

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train travel from Frankfurt to Paris

Hi John F,

You're correct that you can find direct trains (no changes) from the Frankfurt Hbf (Central Station) in downtown Frankfurt, but the OP asked for a train from the airport, and in my research of bahn.de, there were no direct trains from the Frankfurt airport to Paris. You had to change at least once.

So getting from the airport to the central station to catch a direct train does, in essence, add a stop to the trip.

Zed

kuching
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Train travel from Frankfurt to Paris

i would like to purchase train ticket frankfurt -paris on 26 oct using DB bahn

1. what is the difference frankfurt main/frankfurt main hbf/ frankfurt flu fernbahnhof/frankfurt flu fern

2. the price of the ticket will not display why?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,577 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Train travel from Frankfurt to Paris

Do you want to travel from Frankfurt or from Frankfurt Airport to Paris?

Save Reply
10. Re: Train travel from Frankfurt to Paris

I'd like to purchase two first class train ticket from koblenz to Paris return,would it be direct or I have to change train,and how much is the ticket date from December 30 return January 2

Reply to: Train travel from Frankfurt to Paris
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted