We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about Bahn Tickets

Nashville
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Question about Bahn Tickets

I am traveling to Frankfurt next week for school. The week after, my wife is joining me and we're going travel for an additional week. I have two questions. First, when trying to order train tickets on Bahn, I notice that on the savings fare page, if I select two tickets vs 1 ticket, the total is 19 euros higher. Is it cheaper to order tickets individually? Are these tickets tied to a specific seat or just a specific train? The example I'm looking at is from Frankfurt Main to Munich on March 23 leaving at 6:54. It's 49 pounds for a single ticket, but 119 pounds for two tickets. Is there a more efficient way to purchase tickets if we plan to use the trains multiple times? I know it's sort of last minute.

My next question is related to renting a car. Would it be wiser to rent a car vs paying for train tickets? We do plan to make our way down to Venice for a couple of days. The car rental would be $350 plus gas. The only downside is that we could take a night train from Munich to Venice and wouldn't waste that time in a car. Any suggestions are welcomed. Thanks everyone.

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,137 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about Bahn Tickets

I don't know about the train tickets, but I do know that most of the car rental companies charge quite a large fee to rent in one country and return in another.

Nashville
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about Bahn Tickets

We are actually starting in and flying out of Frankfurt. Which is convenient from the rental car standpoint but sort of cuts into the travel time a bit.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
4,410 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about Bahn Tickets

Saving fares are tied to a certain train, but not to a certain seat of course. You can make a reservation though.

It might be, that there is only one more ticket for 49 pounds available, because there is only a limited amount of saving fare tickets.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,895 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about Bahn Tickets

> Is it cheaper to order tickets individually?

Looks like there is only 1 very cheap ticket left. With 2 the next more expensive batch of savings fare tickets is offered. But you can try to book them separately. You have to make the 2 bookings with different IDs (= each ones own credit card).

> Are these tickets tied to a specific seat or just a specific train?

To a specific train. Seat reservation is not included. You can buy a seat reservation separately for 2 seats. If a seat reservation is necessary at all Saturday early morning in something else. But when doing a seat reservation note that these offered specials are 1st class.

Another option would be to travel with regional trains on a Schönes-Wochenende-Ticket to Munich. This does take 2 hours more. But costs only EUR 42 for both of you together. And covers even all local public transport in Munich till 3am next day.

You may consider flying back with www.germanwings.com from Venice to Cologne.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,895 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about Bahn Tickets

> the car rental would be $350 plus gas.

plus parking plus vignette (toll sticker) for Austria, toll for the Brenner pass, tolls for the Italian autostradas. You can check with

http://www.viamichelin.com

for travel times and it gives you also information on the tolls needed.

The question is also what you want with a car in Munich and even more in Venice. You'll have to pay for parking. And to use a car for sightseeing is not convenient in Munich and impossible in Venice.

And driving longer distances is here not as relaxing than at home. Plus in many states/countries there are Easter school holidays during this time. Which can cause big traffic jams.

Here a map showing the autobahns where problems over the Easter holidays in 2012 have been expected. 2013 is not out - but will be similar.

blogcdn.com/de.autoblog.com/media/2012/03/os…

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,895 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about Bahn Tickets

> If a seat reservation is necessary at all Saturday early morning in something else.

Go for it. While writing the last answer I realized that the Easter school holidays are the reasons why the cheaper discounted specials are all already gone. Normally Saturday morning is not exactly a peak travel time.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,176 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question about Bahn Tickets

You might also want to look at the DB Twin Pass, or some sort of Eurorail pass.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,382 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question about Bahn Tickets

don't buy a Eurail pass without doing a thorough forum search here and on the train forum - they are not good value and have too many restrictions. www.seat61.com also has lots of useful info

Nashville
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Question about Bahn Tickets

Thanks for all of your replies. My final question is regarding the German Rail Twin Pass. Since we're planning on taking an overnight train from Munich to Venice, would it be better to buy the Twin Pass with Extension vs buying tickets for each leg separately? Does the Twin Pass allow for overnight trains and if so, how do you go about reserving your seats once you purchase the pass?

To sum up our trip:

Mar 16-18 - Stuttgart (MBA class)

Mar 18-23 - Frankfurt (MBA class). Wife joins me on Mar 22.

Mar 23 - Frankfurt to Munich early. Will visit Dachau this day.

Mar 24 - Munich to Fussen to see Neuschwanstein and back for a day trip.

Mar 25 - Munich to Salzburg and back on for a day trip. Planning on taking an overnight train to Venice from Munich at 1130PM.

Mar 26 - Venice

Mar 27 - Venice to Rome

Mar 28 - Rome

Mar 29 - Rome to Interlaken

Mar 30 - Interlaken

Mar 31 - Interlaken to Frankfurt. Fly back home.

It's a lot for the time being and I'm not opposed to killing a certain leg of this trip, but I'm just trying to figure out the most cost effective but efficient train prices. Thanks so much everyone.

Edited: 11 March 2013, 15:18
10. Re: Question about Bahn Tickets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2014, 06:16