We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

S-Bahn Costs

Which Frankfurt hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bolton, UK
Level Contributor
2,122 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
S-Bahn Costs

Hi,

Flying Manchester to Frankfurt and after 6 hours layover, on to Singapore. Hopefully our baggage should be checked through with Lufthansa, so we are going to visit the city.

Have read the information about how to get there, times etc and what to see. but trying to find the costs of the fare from the websites has beaten me.

Can anyone tell me, for the two of us - do we just buy single tickets each way or is it cheaper to buy a return each, or cheaper to buy a group ticket?

Thanks

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,520 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: S-Bahn Costs

Using the RMV website will give you the most accurate information, though we also have plenty of posts on here describing the hows and whys and costs.

Your best ticket is an all day collective ticket for 15 euro. This gets up to 5 people to the city and back to the airport as well as use of the trams, buses, U-bahns in the city itself. The ticket machines switch to English and you will need small bills or coins. No credit cards or 50 euro bills.

www.rmv.de

Bolton, UK
Level Contributor
2,122 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: S-Bahn Costs

Thanks.

That's the website that did my head in. I get so far, and then when I try and find the prices it reverts to German and even using Google Translate, I can only get the fare prices to show single costs. Not easy to use at all for non Germans speaking folks

I assume it's the season ticket price you quote at 15 euro? To me a season ticket means a whole year.

But anyway - thanks for your help, at least we now know :)

Boppard, Germany
Destination Expert
for Boppard
Level Contributor
1,624 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: S-Bahn Costs

To RMV, anything not a single ticket is a season ticket. The ticket you need is called "Gruppentageskarte", translated as "RMV group day ticket":

rmv.de/en/…Gruppentageskarte.html

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,520 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: S-Bahn Costs

Well, except on the RMV ticket machine, when you switch it into English, it says "Collective Day Ticket" for a group day ticket or Gruppentageskarte.

I buy these all the time.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,147 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: S-Bahn Costs

Mini group (2-5 persons) day ticket is EUR 15,00 and pays thus already for 2 persons as a single ticket is EUR 4,25 (4 x 4,25 = EUR 17,00).

Covered are all means of local public transport: regional trains, S-Bahn, U-Bahn, trams and buses.

Boppard, Germany
Destination Expert
for Boppard
Level Contributor
1,624 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: S-Bahn Costs

I did not doubt what you wrote, Bornheimgirl. It only shows that the English version of the RMV website needs some improvement.

Bolton, UK
Level Contributor
2,122 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: S-Bahn Costs

Thank you all for your help.

To be fair the English version of the site is good up to that point. How many of our UK rail websites offer a German version?

Edited: 19 March 2013, 11:15
Boston...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: S-Bahn Costs

Thank you for all the info! One-way from the airport is 4,25 € and one stop on Ubahn is 2,60 €! wow.

Adding somewhat related information to one thread.

I am planning to visit Frankfurt Opera and noticed that a box-office issued ticket gives free travel 5 hours before the performance and then until closing. One would need to pay €3 to have them mailed though, but seems like it's worth it, if one is going to the opera anyway :D

http://www.oper-frankfurt.de/en/page192.cfm

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,697 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: S-Bahn Costs

No, ohne way froh airport to anywhere in Frankfurt in any combination is €4,25. Including U-Bahn, tram, bus etc.

India
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: S-Bahn Costs

Hi,

Can anyone advice to visit the main attraction in Franfurt in the shortest possible time.We are 04 male adults from India and will be proceeding Hannover for an industrial fair via Frankfurt.We shall be arriving Frankfurt on 05.04.2013 at about 12.35pm.We are booked in Hotel Excelsior,Mannheimer Str. 7-9,Franfurt am Main,60329.Please do advice the fastest and cheapest way to reach the above mentioned hotel from Franfurt airport?Secondly in the afernoon we wish to visit some of the main attraction in Franfurt on 05.04.2013 itself,since next morning i.e. 0n 06.04.2013 we have to board train at 08.50 am to Hannover Hbf.A kind advice is highly appreciated.

Thanks.

S.K.Chakraborty