We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train prices

Which Frankfurt hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manly, Australia
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Train prices

Hope someone can help.... Im arriving in Frankfurt in 2 weeks and need to get the train from Maniz (or frankfurt) to stuttgart .but im not sure if the prices iv been looking at are correct..

Iv been on the Rail europe site, It seems like a one way ticket from frankfurt to stuttgart are around 84 euros for an hour and 20 minute trip.... This seem rather expensive for such a short trip... is this correct or is there something im missing...kerrianne

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,713 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train prices

> is this correct or is there something im missing...

What you are missing is the fact that you should never use Rail Europe and it's ilk. If you want to look up schedules and prices or buy tickets you need to go to the train provider website, which is for Germany www.bahn.de.

Bainbridge Island...
Level Contributor
76 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train prices

Yes, Bahn.de is the best place. Very easy to navigate, and you can change the language if need be.

I've purchased all my train trips and it is very nice, just make sure you take along the credit card you book it with to match to your printed out ticket.

From Mainz to Stuttgart on the 13, I found 19 € leaving at 9:50 and 39 € leaving at 8:43am, these are the ranges on that day for a 1 way trip.

Good luck!

Salzburg, Austria
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train prices

Its incredible how many people get tricked into raileurope, just because they were smart and registered this web domain. Maybe its time for DB to hunt them down and raid them.

Nowra, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train prices

Can you buy the ticket from the station at thet price ? I will be arriving by plane and don't want to prebook in case there are delays.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,362 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train prices

It's unfortunate that most people have not heard of Rail & Fly tickets which are sold by many airlines. For about 25€ you can take any train from any airport to any city in Germany on the day of arrival or the next day. When departing, you can arrive at the airport the same day or the day before. Such travel must involve at least one leg on a fast long-distance train- IC, EC or ICE. bahn.com/i/…rail-and-fly.shtml

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train prices

Hi Kerrianne900 and Toddy1953,

One thing to remember when booking tickets on bahn.de is that you can catch the train directly from the Frankfurt Airport. There is no need to go into the center of Frankfurt or Mainz to catch the train. Just enter:

Frankfurt(M)Flughafen

in the "From" box on the website.

You can catch either regional or long distance trains from Terminal 1:

frankfurt-airport.com/content/frankfurt_airp…

If you purchase a "Savings Fare" (which generally is the less expensive fare), you MUST ride the specific train(s) that you booked. If your flight is delayed and you miss your train, you will have to buy a full-fare replacement ticket.

If you purchase a "Standard Fare" ticket, you'll have flexibility to catch a later train if your flight is delayed.

Hope that helps.

Zed

Nowra, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train prices

Can you buy the "savings fare" on the day of travel at the station ? or do I have to pre-book ?

Manly, Australia
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Train prices

Thanks everyone for your help :)

Seattle, Washington
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Train prices

The information you've provided is very helpful. However, when I got onto DeBahn to place my ticket, I see that there is the Frankfurt(Main) hbf versus Frankfurt (Main). Since I'm taking it from the Airport, please advise which one do I pick. Thanks

Nowra, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train prices

The Airport is Frankfurt hbf