We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confused regarding train...help!

Which Frankfurt hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia Area
Level Contributor
2,143 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Confused regarding train...help!

On July 10th I need to catch a train from Frankfurt Airport (Frankfurt Flu. Fern) to Strasbourg, France. Here is where I get confused. If I go to DB Bahn, there is this train:

Frankfurt(M) Flu Fern, depart 11:53 (Fern 5) ICE 105, ICE 505 Intercity-Express

(please reserve only ICE 105), Offenburg arrive 13:27, Transfer time 7 min.,Offenburg depart 13:34, RB 86378 Regionalbahn, 2nd class, Strasbour arr 14:04

Cost 58.40 Euro

If I go to the French TGV site:

11h53 from Frank Flu Fern, ICE 105, 2nd class - Mandatory seat reservation

Arrive 12h58 KARLSRUHE HBF, Departing at 13h32 from KARLSRUHE HBF TGV 9574,

2nd class Arrive 14h10 STRASBOURG STATION

Cost 68.00 €

I know that one is a French rail site, one is the German rail site, but is it possible these two trains run so close together? The 1st train looks the same ICE 105, but I don't quite understand the ICE 505 since there is not a transfer at that time. The next transfer I see is the Offenburg RB. I also notice the 10 Euro price difference. Can someone please explain this???

Boppard, Germany
Destination Expert
for Boppard
Level Contributor
1,744 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Confused regarding train...help!

ICE 105 and ICE 505 come from different places (Amsterdam and Cologne) and are combined in Cologne to form one long train. Bahn.de lets you use the ICE train to Offenburg and a local train from there to Strasbourg, while SNCF would have you transfer to a French long distance train in Karlsruhe. This explains the price difference. When in Frankfurt, make sure you enter the correct part of the train, if you have a seat reservation, as you may not be able to get from one section to the other while the train is moving.

Philadelphia Area
Level Contributor
2,143 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Confused regarding train...help!

Thanks!!!!

3. Re: Confused regarding train...help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2014, 05:17