We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vehicle Rental for a Large Group

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
4 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Vehicle Rental for a Large Group

I have traveled to Germany many times and I am very comfortable driving there. However, it has usually been with a very small group or just by myself. In December, I am traveling with a group of 8, including me. We need to rent a vehicle that can accommodate us plus our bags. I have seen a few larger vehicles that can fit up to 9 people, but I am concerned about the bags. I am less interested in a two car option because none of the other travelers have ever driven in a country other than the U.S., particularly in winter. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,795 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vehicle Rental for a Large Group

Any vehicle seating more than 9 requires a different class of driving license, which you probably dont have - so you would have to charter a bus with driver. Obviously much more expensive.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
4 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vehicle Rental for a Large Group

That's good to know. Thanks!

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,795 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vehicle Rental for a Large Group

Alternatively you can travel by train and use the quite substantial group discounts available to groups above 6 persons.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,545 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Vehicle Rental for a Large Group

With a normal car drivers license (C1) you can transport at max 9 persons (incl. yourself). For more persons you need a special license. Thus rental car companies offer at max mini vans with 9 seats. But I'm not aware of a model which can also hold the luggage of 8 persons.

Thus you won't need just a larger mini van but a real small bus.

http://www.minibusrent.com/engl/index.php

Apart from the fact that such a vehicle won't fit in any parking garage and not into most parking lots either.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,541 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vehicle Rental for a Large Group

I have in the past been given a 9 seater, they must be pretty cramped when full and luggage would be carry on only. If you rent with Europcar you can book one with a trailer hook and have a small enclosed trailer for luggage. Not very easy for parking though and your speed is restricted to 90 or 100 kph

6. Re: Vehicle Rental for a Large Group

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2014, 06:18