We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Frankfurt Airport to Prague??

New Jersey
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Train from Frankfurt Airport to Prague??

Hello All,

Am I able to book a train ticket sunday sept 29th from the airport station to Prague direct?

I seem to be getting put on a bus everytime I go to book my ticket on bahne.de.

Are the train lines down or being serviced directly to Prague? Why do I have to take a bus halfway?

I greatly appreciate your answers. Thank you

Ken

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
39,024 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Frankfurt Airport to Prague??

There are no direct trains from Frankfurt Airport to Prague. And apart from the CityNightLine train no direct trains from elsewhere in Frankfurt to Prague either.

Fastest option is ICE train from Frankfurt Airport to Nuremberg and from there by DB express bus to Prague. This is also the reason why this option comes up every time.

You can enforce connections by trains only if you add stopovers with the DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

e.g. Dresden (a detour but you can get discounted tickets for this route)

Via (1): Dresden Hbf

or Pilsen/Plzen for the more direct route from Nuremberg

Via (1): Plzen

The route Frankfurt Airport - Frankfurt - Nuremberg - Schwandorf - (Pilsen/Plzen) - Prague is only cheap if you stick in Germany to regional trains and use 3 tickets for this trip. These can be however bought on spot. No booking required. Price wise esp. attractive if you're not traveling alone.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Frankfurt Airport to Prague??

Hmm, that's a bummer! But I will do what I have to.

So the DB express bus will drop you off at the Prague train station or elsewhere in the city?

Thank you for your reply also

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
14,040 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Frankfurt Airport to Prague??

The train lines in most of Czech republic except a few mainlines are so slow and worn out that a bus is a much faster and more comfortable way of travelling. Since it is a semi permanent replacement of a train it connects to the rest of the train network, using train stations in Nuremberg and Prague.

There are also a few train connections per day from Nuremberg to Prague but they take over an hour longer, using 40 years old rolling stock that has not seen any modernisation in between except maybe some fresh paint.

Maybe, if in some years the Czech decide to bring their admittedly very dense but badly maintained rail network up to date there will be a proper train connection again.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,576 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Frankfurt Airport to Prague??

Its actually not a bummer. The bus is comfortable and convinient. It leaves from out in front of the Nuremburg station and drops you in front of the main train station in Prague.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Frankfurt Airport to Prague??

Excellent thanks

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,892 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Frankfurt Airport to Prague??

It is by far the more preferable way of doing this journey! I like trains very much, but not enough to make me get the day train from Nuremburg to Prague via Cheb/Plzeň. On many routes (but not all) in and out of the Czech Republic, and even within the country, the bus is the cheapest, most comfortable and often fastest option.

7. Re: Train from Frankfurt Airport to Prague??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2014, 05:17