We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

terminal 2 frankfurt airport

Australia
Level Contributor
133 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
terminal 2 frankfurt airport

Hi we are flying Cathay Pacific from terminal 2 Frankfurt airport to Hong Kong.We arrive by train from Munich.How difficult will it be to get to terminal 2.On the airport website it looks like we need to take a shuttle bus.If train is on time we have 2 hours to make flight.Can anyone give us some advice.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,358 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: terminal 2 frankfurt airport

Walk to Terminal 1 Hall B, follow the SkyLine sings and take the SkyLine train to Terminal 2.

frankfurt-airport.com/content/frankfurt_airp…

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,540 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: terminal 2 frankfurt airport

It's always been a mystery to me why there is no door between Terminals 1 and 2, they do share a common wall! Your other options besides the SkyLine train are a bus or to walk outside.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
4,145 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: terminal 2 frankfurt airport

Btw, if I were you, I'd take an earlier train. It's an intercontinental flight. Oftentimes, they close the check-in counters 90 minutes before departure. And train delays are not uncommon.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,141 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: terminal 2 frankfurt airport

>>>It's always been a mystery to me why there is no door between Terminals 1 and 2, they do share a common wall! Your other options besides the SkyLine train are a bus or to walk outside.<<<

That common wall is airside at the gates.

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,676 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: terminal 2 frankfurt airport

There is no reason why anyone would walk between these two terminals. The Skytrain runs every 3 min. and only takes 2 min.

I would also take an earlier train. You have left yourself no cushion of time in case there are train delays and believe me, there are delays and they happen a lot.

Nuremberg, Germany
Level Contributor
7,970 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: terminal 2 frankfurt airport

The 90 minutes is the recommended check-in time, not the cut-off time.

To save some time online check-in might be a good option.

The delays of trains is not as bad as it is preceived by the public. E.g. in September 2013 94,2% of all trains arrived within 6 minutes and 99% within 16 minutes of the scheduled arrival.

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: terminal 2 frankfurt airport

"The delays of trains is not as bad as it is preceived by the public. E.g. in September 2013 94,2% of all trains arrived within 6 minutes and 99% within 16 minutes of the scheduled arrival."

For long distance trains numbers though look worse with approximately every 10th train delayed by more than 15 mins though the route Munich - Frankfurt is usually not too bad as e.g. Hamburg - Frankfurt which has become a nightmare.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
4,145 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: terminal 2 frankfurt airport

<The 90 minutes is the recommended check-in time, not the cut-off time.>

That's actually not correct.

Most airlines do indeed close their counters 60-90 minutes before departure of intercontinental flights. The "recommended" check-in time you are referring to is 2-3 hours.

Of course it depends on the airline. Every airline has fixed check-in rules and if you do not meet this fixed time, they can give your seat away, it's as easy as that.

Nuremberg, Germany
Level Contributor
7,970 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: terminal 2 frankfurt airport

Quote from the Cathay Homepage for Frankfurt airport:

Check-In Schalter

Terminal 2, area E, counters 916-920

Opening hours

1015 – 1315

(Check-in counters are closed punctually 40 minutes before scheduled departure time)

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
4,145 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: terminal 2 frankfurt airport

As I said, it depends on the airline. And still: I wouldn't chance it.

You still have to go through passport control and security and boarding starts 45 minutes prior to departure.