We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tax free shopping

Tbilisi, Georgia
4 posts
Save Topic
tax free shopping

Hello,

I arrive in Frankfurt on Sunday morning and I will stay there 1 week.

I am going to purchase toys and different things. So where can I do my shopping to get back tax and do i need to present the purchases to tax free officer in the airport.

If yes, where I can get tax back besides airport.

Is something special that I can not cross the border in my hands?

Sincerely,

Nino

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,845 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tax free shopping

Some shops will ship you purchase straight to your country and deduct the tax right away, however I don't know how much the transport will cost. If you have the ware in your hands you need to show that it leaves the country with you, so only the airport is possible. I don't know what else is restricted except the usual (liquids in the handluggage, explosives, fireworks etc) - that's a question you need to ask in Georgia.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,133 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tax free shopping

You need to present your purchase at the airport in order to prove that they are leaving the country with you.

I don't know of any goods that can't be exported from Germany (besides drugs, weapons etc). Better ask what you are allowed to take into Georgia.

Tbilisi, Georgia
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: tax free shopping

thank a lot

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,842 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: tax free shopping

How it works generally:

…zoll.de/english_version/…index.html

That's a hell of paper work for the shop owner. But note the 2nd last paragraph

"The seller can also make use of a service company operating at the border crossing or airports. On receipt of the export documentation confirmed by the customs authorities, this company will pay the amount of the tax less a service charge. The service company will then have the amount of the tax payments refunded by the domestic seller."

Often shops show by stickers that they are partner of such a service company. Or just ask. This is the only realistic way for tax free shopping. Such service companies are e.g.

taxfreeworldwide.com/en/…49-63.html

globalblue.com/customer-services/…

5. Re: tax free shopping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 December 2014, 05:17