We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Internet

Tbilisi, Georgia
4 posts
Save Topic
Internet

Hello,

On Sunday I will visit Frankfurt with my Georgian mobile phone with local mobile number and SIM.

Can I buy in Frankfurt only internet and will I need to activate roaming service with my local company? What will it cost to me and where can i get the plan?

sincerely,

Nino

London, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Internet

Concerning Roaming service in Germany:

Nowadays, almost all sim cards provide roaming service. However, you should still check it with your sim card telecom company.

In my case, I made a phone call to my sim card telecom company to confirm that my sim card is able to use the roaming service in Germany.

Concerning Internet package in Germany:

Of course you can buy only the Internet package.

Just buy a prepaid sim card in any German telecom shop.(The biggest telecom company in Geramany are O2, T-Mobile, Vodafone, and E-Plus. You can choose any one of them.)

Tell the staff want you need (such as 500MB or 1GB Internet package), they will find the most suitable sim card and activate the Internet package for you. The only thing you need to prepare is your passport and your money.

However, using the roaming service is always more expansive than using a German prepaid sim card.

So, the cheapest way is to bring two cell phones with you.

One for the German prepaid sim card, to make phone calls and surf the Internet.

One for your local sim card(which will be using the roaming service), but only use it to check if anyone call you. You then call back with the German prepaid sim card.

The above is the way I do when traveling.

Edited: 06 December 2013, 09:17
London, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Internet

P.S.

In my case, I bought the prepaid sim card in the O2 shop in front of Frankfurt central station (Frankfurt Hauptbahnhof). I choose it not because I like it, but because it is the nearest telecom shop from my hotel.

The sim card cost me 25 EUR.

It contains 15 EUR credit for phone calls and 500MB for high speed Internet surfing.

I only notice that there are O2 shops in the airport Terminal 1 and in front of the Frankfurt central station (Frankfurt Hauptbahnhof).

Like I said above, you can choose any telecom shop. They all work.

Tbilisi, Georgia
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Internet

Than you for your help

4. Re: Internet

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 December 2014, 05:17