We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public Transportation advice around Frankfurt

Which Frankfurt hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new york
Level Contributor
725 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Public Transportation advice around Frankfurt

I will be in Frankfurt on late May and would like to visit several nearby towns including Heidelberg, Wurzberg, Marburg,and a Rhine River cruise. What would be the best option regarding type of tickets to purchase for the day trips?

Thank you.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,141 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public Transportation advice around Frankfurt

Check out www.bahn.de and switch to English

new york
Level Contributor
725 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Public Transportation advice around Frankfurt

Thanks. I'm aware of Deutsche Bahn but wanted to get info about local train / day pass options. They seem to be available in many areas of Germany.

Boppard, Germany
Destination Expert
for Boppard
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public Transportation advice around Frankfurt

Some of the places you intend to visit are in other states, so day passes for the Frankfurt area do not work.

The best type of ticket depends on a number of factors:

Are you travelling alone or in a small group?

Will you travel during the weekend or during the week?

If during the week, before 9 a.m.?

Are you willing to take slower, local trains to Heidelberg or Würzburg or faster, but more expensive express trains?

Have a look at the regional offers (Länder Tickets, Schönes Wochenende, Quer durchs Land) on Bahn.de as well as the website of the greater Frankfurt tariff area (http://www.rmv.de/en/).

new york
Level Contributor
725 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Public Transportation advice around Frankfurt

Will take a look. Thank you

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,557 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Public Transportation advice around Frankfurt

Out of the places you listed only Marburg is inside the RMV local public transport association (which covers the Greater Frankfurt Area ~ the southern half of the state Hesse).

To other places a combination of local public transport day tickets *can* make sense. Depends however on the day of week and number of persons.

Heidelberg: RMV + VRN tickets

Würzburg: RMV + Bayern Ticket

Middle Rhine Valley: RMV + Rheinland-Pfalz Ticket

Inchicore, Dublin...
Level Contributor
973 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Public Transportation advice around Frankfurt

Hi,

it depends. Heidelberg and Wuerzburg are quite a distance away from Frankfurt and hence I recommend a DB saver ticket. You are then fixed to a certain train and need to book in advance, but they are significantly cheaper.

As abalada mentioned, parts of the Rhine and Marburg are within the RMV network, where a RMV dayticket would be the best option. Note you can only use regional trains then, but they are quite fast in these directions. Bus services at your destinations are also included, especially in Marburg the network is prettty good.

At the Rhine you can use the RMV tickets as far as Lorch or Bacharach, but you will easily find a cruise from there. For more than one person the Hessenticket will be the better choice, but this is not valid on the left side of the Rhine (except mainz)

Holger

new york
Level Contributor
725 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Public Transportation advice around Frankfurt

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I will be traveling alone and will make a decision

when to take the day trips based on the weather. So, saver tickets are probably not viable. In Bavaria I used the day tickets which were great but I now understand that the day trips from frankfurt include several different regions and are more complicated.

Just out of curiousity can someone tell me how much a round trip to Heidelberg cost if purchased on the same day?

Thank you.

Boppard, Germany
Destination Expert
for Boppard
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Public Transportation advice around Frankfurt

You can see that on bahn.de. Standard price stays the same, whether you buy it online, from the counter or from a ticket machine. However, the price depends on the type of train you use (local, IC/EC or ICE).

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,557 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Public Transportation advice around Frankfurt

Frankfurt to Heidelberg using local public transport for 1 person.

1. RMV day ticket from Franfkurt to Weinheim (Bergstraße) EUR 28,30

Ticket machines in Frankfurt.

2. VRN day ticket from Weinheim to Heidelberg EUR 11,40 (4-5 zones)

This ticket covers the direct regional trains to Heidelberg Hbf. And also to change in Weinheim to the (regional) tram line RNV5 which goes directly to Heidelberg Bismarckplatz, the western end of the Altstadt (Old Town).

If you want to use connections where you have to change somewhere in Mannheim you need the day ticket covering the entire VRN network (EUR 16,50).

You can buy the VRN tickets from the ticket machines in Weinheim (easy if you want to change there to the RNV5 line), probably from RMV customer centers in Frankfurt and the version for the entire VRN network also online (but only in German).

https:/…ticket_options

Not covered by this ticket combination are long distance trains like IC/EC or ICE. Covered is however all local public transport in Frankfurt (S-Bahn, U-Bahn, trams, buses) and Heidelberg (S-Bahn, trams, buses). And there is no past 9am restriction on workdays with these tickets (like e.g. with the Länder-Tickets). Both day tickets are valid from midnight till 3am next day.

Edited: 15 February 2014, 10:30
new york
Level Contributor
725 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Public Transportation advice around Frankfurt

Abalada, thank you very much. So about 40 euro to purchase the ticket on day of travel and it's great that there is no 9 am restriction. Because The main day trips that I would like to do from Frankfurt are Heidelberg and the Rhine cruise ( which is in the RMV network) I will just have to buy the train tix on the day of travel. The weather is a factor and I have several days to choose from.