We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Frankfurt Airport to Amsterdam By Train / Rail

Which Frankfurt hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
522 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Frankfurt Airport to Amsterdam By Train / Rail

Hello! I am looking to go from Frankfurt Airport to Amsterdam by train. I see there is a 9:43AM ICE train on Sunday that is much faster (obviously) than the others -- but our flight doesn't get in until 7:45AM. Does this leave enough time to clear customs & immigration coming from the United States and somehow manage to locate where the Frankfurt Flughafen Fernbahnhof Train Terminal is in relation to the Airport and successfully make this train?

If so, should I book a ticket in advance? There is pretty good "Savings Fares" if I book right now -- 44EUR versus the Standard Fare of 126,60EUR

What if we don't make the 9:43AM train??? What do we do then?

Any help would be greatly appreciated in figuring this out.... THANKS!

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,927 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Frankfurt Airport to Amsterdam By Train / Rail

This is normally sufficient time.

The Fernbahnhof (long distance train station) is a building next to Terminal 1 connected by indoor walkways.

A savings fare ticket is however only good for the connection bought for. And no refund possible on the day of travel. Thus not without risk after an incoming flight. If you miss this train you have to buy a standard fare ticket.

Standard fare train tickets are flexible. As this is an international ticket it is valid 1 month and allows stopovers en route.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
522 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Frankfurt Airport to Amsterdam By Train / Rail

For the difference in fare, it might make sense to take a chance with the Savings Fare -- if it's normally sufficient time. And if worse comes to worse, then just purchase one of the standard fares. We're not going anywhere except directly to Amsterdam upon arrival and spending a few days in Frankfurt after we return.

Would this be what you would do? Thanks for the information!

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
522 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Frankfurt Airport to Amsterdam By Train / Rail

Anyone else have any suggestions on pre-booking the train in advance with the time allotted to get our luggage, clear customs, and get on the train ??

Inchicore, Dublin...
Level Contributor
975 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Frankfurt Airport to Amsterdam By Train / Rail

Hi,

what airline do you fly. You might check whether your Airline offers the rail and fly ticket. This is a flexible ticket which is valid in entire Germany at the day of your arrival. Hence you would only have to add up the ticket cost for the short distance between the border and Amsterdam.

Holger

Portland, Oregon USA
Level Contributor
2,637 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Frankfurt Airport to Amsterdam By Train / Rail

The last time I arrived in Frankfurt from the US, I timed the trip from when the "Fasten Seat Belts" light went out to when I passed into the main hall. It took 45 minutes to collect my luggage, and pass through Immigration and Customs. I'd add another 15 minutes to get from the hall to the correct platform at the Fernbahnhof.

Should your plane arrive on time, 2 hours would be plenty.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
522 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Frankfurt Airport to Amsterdam By Train / Rail

That's great information. Thank you !!

I have a mileage award ticket that is on Luftansa so I don't know if they would allow us add to them.

I think I will just buy the prepaid discounted ticket and hope for the best. :)

7. Re: Frankfurt Airport to Amsterdam By Train / Rail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2015, 05:17