We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help in transferrring planes

Which Frankfurt hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
nb
Level Contributor
433 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Need help in transferrring planes

Hi

We are thinking about a trip (out of Canada) made through Condor Air which lands in Frankfurt , heads on to Prague via a different carrier and it could be either a one and a half or two hour "layover" depending on carrier/flight. This is what the airline deems to be reasonable I guess but being an inexperienced traveller I am not really sure if that is enough time for us. Not even sure what the procedure is once we land. Since we are going to a different country,do we have to pick up luggage , go through screening again, get a new boarding pass or would Condor Air have made arrangements to forward luggage and provide us with a boarding pass for the second leg of the journey?????? Told you I was not an experienced traveller!! If anyone has specifics on this procedure I would really appreciate the help. I would hate to miss the flight out of Frankfurt because of an inability to "navigate" properly. Thanks!

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,134 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help in transferrring planes

It is enough time, no worries!

When your flight is on one ticket, your luggage is checked through - that means you will see it again in Prague and you will also get a boarding pass for your second flight.

Others will tell you about the immigration and passport controll. Landing in Frankfurt means being back home again for me, so I am not sure about the procedure.

Edited: 19 April 2014, 16:54
Brussels
Level Contributor
5,260 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help in transferrring planes

<Others will tell you about the immigration and passport control>

Coming from Canada, nbtraveller will pass through immigration control in Frankfurt (passport stamped on entry to the Schengen Area) and customs in Prague, once they have retrieved their luggage.

Edited: 19 April 2014, 18:34
nb
Level Contributor
433 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help in transferrring planes

Confused as Quiltneedle believes my luggage will be checked through and Collin56 believes it needs to be picked up? I guess I can just ask when starting the journey in Halifax. Thanks

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,191 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help in transferrring planes

You need to ask before you purchase your tickets, and the ones to ask are Condor. The minimum connecting time in Frankfurt is 45 minutes which may be sufficient if your luggage is checked through, but cerainly will not be if you have to pick up your luggage in the unsecure part of the airport (this alone takes about 45 minutes) before having to go back through security and to your gate. And you then would have to check-in with your new airlines and drop off your luggage on the way.

If Condor will check your luggage through to Prague, you still might have problems. Will Condor be able to issue you boarding passes for that connecting flight? Otherwise, as you follow the transfer signs at the airport, there should be a room where airlines can issue boarding passes for their flights. Of course this takes more time than just proceeding to your gate. By following the transfer signs you will pass through a security checkpoint which in your case will also serve as immigration to the Schengen area of Europe. You cannot simply go directly to your new gate as arrivals and departures are on separate secure levels of the airport.

By the way, Condor has one of the worst on time arrivals history in the airline industry.

Edited: 19 April 2014, 20:46
nb
Level Contributor
433 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help in transferrring planes

Thank you marcopolko (btw love your posting name). It sounds like it could be "iffy" doesn't it! Will speak to Condor directly.

6. Re: Need help in transferrring planes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 April 2015, 06:16