We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise on the Rhine

Which Frankfurt hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Cruise on the Rhine

Hi All. My wife and I will be in Frankfurt in the last week of May & wanted to do a cruise (day trip ) along the Rhine. Was wondering if you guys can help me out with a picturesque cruise from Frankfurt .

Is going to Mainz along the Rhine & is it scenic?

Have read one must travel from Frankfurt to Bingen or Rudesheim to take a cruise. Will this one be a better one as it is along some beautiful castles?

We don't mind halting at smaller towns & villages & taking he next cruise.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Boppard, Germany
Destination Expert
for Boppard
Level Contributor
1,738 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruise on the Rhine

Frankfurt to Mainz is along the river Main and not too scenic.

You can start a cruise at Mainz, but the nicest part of the Rhine valley starts at Bingen and Rüdesheim.

If you want to see some of the towns in the Middle Rhine valley it is usually easier to to so on your way back by train, as there are at least hourly train connections.

So I recommend taking the train to Rüdesheim or Bingen, the cruise to St. Goar or Boppard and stopping at Oberwesel and/or Bacharach on your way back.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruise on the Rhine

Hey Detbo...thank you for your quick response! Shall work on it!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
84 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruise on the Rhine

Did you undertake the cruise from Rudesheim? Any advice? We'll be in Frankfurt in early September.

Thanks.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
14,563 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruise on the Rhine

I just went with friends from Napa Valley on this cruise last weekend and took Bornheimgirls excellent advice and went from Frankfurt to Rüdesheim. It is rather touristy, but nice for an hour or two. Went on the KD Line(make sure to show your trainticket for a 20% discount), took the cruise which lasted about 90 minutes to St.Goar, went up to the castle and back home via train.

It was a great day and my friends loved it(even went up the cablecar in Rüdesheim). It is all a little touristy, but the scenery makes up for it. There is no point taking a boat from Frankfurt as it takes hours to get to the nice part. Train is easy, comes on time and you are there in 60/70 minutes (vs 3/4hours by boat)

Edited: 06 June 2014, 18:52
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
84 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruise on the Rhine

Thanks for posting on this. I think we'll try this on one of our two extra days in Frankfurt.

6. Re: Cruise on the Rhine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2015, 07:15