We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Frankfurt airport to Freiburg

Which Frankfurt hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
156 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Frankfurt airport to Freiburg

Hi - We are a family of 4 arriving Frankfurt airport terminal 2. We need to travel to Freiburg im Brisgau upon our arrival. I checked bahn rates and it is Euro 268 for the 4 of us. My questions are: -

1. Where do I find the station named Franfurt (main) Flugh within the airport and how do I reach there from terminal 2

2. Where do I buy the train tickets from?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,201 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Frankfurt airport to Freiburg

> I checked bahn rates and it is Euro 268 for the 4 of us.

Indeed the standard fare if all of you're older than 14 years. Have you ever checked if your airline offers Rail&Fly tickets?

bahn.de/i/…rail_and_fly.shtml

1. The ICE trains to Freiburg depart from Frankfurt (Main) Flughafen Fernbahnhof.

Frankfurt (Main) = Frankfurt am Main = Frankfurt at the (river) Main

Flughafen = German for airport

Fernbahnhof = long distance train station

This is a building next to Terminal 1 connected by indoor walkways. Just follow the signs.

frankfurt-airport.com/content/frankfurt_airp…

See also the box in the right column about "Changing Terminals".

2. Online through the DB timetable where you got the price from. DB travel center at the Fernbahnhof. DB ticket machines.

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
6,666 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Frankfurt airport to Freiburg

1. The long distance train station ("Fernbahnhof") is adjacent to Terminal 1 and connected through a walkway. The easiest transfer for you from T2 would probably be the shuttle bus that's leaving right outside the terminal building and which drops you off in front of T1. Just get on the escalator towards Fernbahnhof and you come out on the walkway to the station. Allow approx 15-20 minutes for this transfer.

2. The 268 EUR is the standard fare for four persons for your route, so you can just buy your tickets from a machine at the train station or at the "AiRail" counter which you will pass on the way. Note: 92 to 3 days in advance you may find saver fares online at http://www.bahn.com/i/view/USA/en/index.shtml but they are bound to a certain train which may be a risk in case your flight came in late etc. And definitely check with your airline about Rail&Fly tickets, could save you a heap of money.

Edited: 29 April 2014, 11:29
Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
156 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Frankfurt airport to Freiburg

Thanks all. Yes, I am checking with my airline on the rail&fly too.

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
156 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Frankfurt airport to Freiburg

Hi Abalada, Oli-6 - I just checked for bus service between Frankfurt airport and Freiburg. There seem to be regular buses but it takes about 4 hours. The cost seems to be only Euro 15 per head. However, the entire site was in German and this is what I could find out. Is this option worth trying? If so, is there a site in English?

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Frankfurt airport to Freiburg

4 hours in theory. However, the motorway along this route is notorious for traffic jams any time and currently there are, in addition to the usual problems, a couple of construction sites on the A5 which make the situation even worse, for example here around Karlsruhe. Do you really want to waste precious time and be squeezed into a narrow seat for even more hours after your long flight? The train is a lo faster, a lot more comfortable, has room to move around during the ride, and connections are more frequent. Get those Rail&Fly tickets if you can, and take the train.

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
156 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Frankfurt airport to Freiburg

Thanks, Blandine.....your recommendations make perfect sense......I guess I will use the train only.

greeley, CO
Level Contributor
2,437 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Frankfurt airport to Freiburg

You can save a lot if you can book tickets 92 days in advance. These tie you in to one specific train, so if you miss it you are out the cost. I gambled on this last time and lost as my plane landed about 4 hours late!

Portland, Oregon USA
Level Contributor
2,625 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Frankfurt airport to Freiburg

As you follow the signs to the rail station, if you find yourself in sleek, new and spacious station, that is the long distance station. If you find yourself in a small, tired looking and cramped station... find the other one as you are in the local station.

9. Re: Frankfurt airport to Freiburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2015, 05:16