We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Place to stay an hour or 2 drive from Franfurt International

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Place to stay an hour or 2 drive from Franfurt International

Planning a last minute 2 week ( 13 nights) trip to Germany, and the Czech republic and possibly Austria if time allows. We land at 9 AM at Frankfurt Intnl. and will rent a car and want to drive east. Where would be a nice place to spend the afternoon and night without driving too far that first day.

We have to be in Munich seven days later for a night or two smack dab in the middle of the trip.So we figure we would try to get to Prague for a couple of nights as soon as possible and then possibly Salzburg for a couple of nights, then to Munich and explore Bavaria and the surroundings before heading back to Frankfurt and our return.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,141 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Place to stay an hour or 2 drive from Franfurt International

Maybe Nuremberg or Bamberg and then on to Prague?

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Place to stay an hour or 2 drive from Franfurt International

Bamberg seems perfect. I tried to book a B&B that is high ratedhere and was surprised they wanted us to wire transfer a deposit. The wire transfer fees are higher than the required deposit. Have I had to do this for tours in Bolivia because Credit cards are rare outside the major cities and big hotels but was very surprised to have to do this for Bamberg?

Is this common?

Frankfurt
Level Contributor
536 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Place to stay an hour or 2 drive from Franfurt International

Not so common though smaller business may request this. You could either talk to them (maybe they can accept paypal?) or look for a place that is ok with a credit card guarantee.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,401 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Place to stay an hour or 2 drive from Franfurt International

We arrived in Frankfurt and drove to Bamberg upon landing - it worked out well. And Bamberg is a really neat town too - we stayed 3 nights there before moving on.

I would definitely email the owners of the B&B where you would like to stay and explain the issue with the wire transfer fees. They can probably do the deposit a different way.

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Place to stay an hour or 2 drive from Franfurt International

The Guesthouse is willing to hold our reservation without a deposit however they said we could pay by credit card when we arrived. i guess they just will not do a "Phone order" credit deposit?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,358 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Place to stay an hour or 2 drive from Franfurt International

> Is this common?

Wire transfer? Is the standard method of payment in Germany. Depending on ones bank this costs between nothing and maybe 0,35 Euro inside Germany and the SEPA area.

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_Euro_Payments_Area

To ask for a deposit? Not uncommon. Albeit not all do this. Depends a bit what this B&B is exactly - there is no real 1:1 equivalent to B&B in the German categorization of accommodation.

> we could pay by credit card when we arrived

That's for a B&B however not common. I know some where I'm sure that the owners don't even have a credit card for themselves.

One option which may also work is a transfer via PayPal.

Edited: 15 May 2014, 19:04
7. Re: Place to stay an hour or 2 drive from Franfurt International

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2015, 08:17