We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RMV Question

Which Frankfurt hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Huntington, WV
Level Contributor
146 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
RMV Question

I've been looking at the RMV website and I can find tageskarten and wochenkarten for individuals. But I can only see gruppentageskarten, but not gruppenwochenkarten. I have looked at both the German and English versions of the site. Am I missing something somewhere or is a weekly ticket for a group not available?

I was attempting to compare the rates to see if we would be better off purchasing tickets every day or not. Now I'm not sure if it's even an option.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,927 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: RMV Question

There are no weekly tickets for groups offered.

There is a 2 days group version of the Frankfurt Card.

frankfurt-tourismus.de/cms/…

a) visitors of trade fairs

With most trade fairs public transport is included in the admission tickets.

b) tourists

will normally not spent a whole week just in Frankfurt. And if it comes to day trips beyond it will be best to buy group day tickets depending on the destination of the day. RMV tariff is zone based. Hessenticket is also an option.

rmv.de/en/…Hessenticket.html

Or other offers if it goes beyond the RMV area.

bahn.de/i/…regional-offers-overview.shtml

Huntington, WV
Level Contributor
146 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RMV Question

Ok, that makes sense. So far this is how I see the price breakdown:

RMV Tickets

Individual 1 day ticket = 6,60 Euros

Group 1 day ticket = 9,90 Euros

Franfurt Card

Individual 1 day ticket = 9,90 Euros

Group 1 day ticket = 20,00 Euros

Individual 2 day ticket = 14,50 Euros

Group 2 day ticket = 29,50 Euros

While I like the option of the 2 day ticket with the Frankfurt card, I don't know that we will be doing enough to make it worth buying. We have some tours and events organized with our convention. I am mainly concerned with only transportation.

Is it possible to buy tickets for future days and activate them later? Must you activate tickets like in Berlin or do you just buy them as needed and use them without activation? (It's been 8 years since I was last in Frankfurt and I can't remember what we did. Also we stayed near the Hbf then and buying tickets when we needed them was not an issue.) My fear is that because we are out in Neiderrad, away from the station, it will be difficult to buy tickets as we need them. We'll have to take a tram to the station. Can we buy a ticket at the tram stop or do we wait until the station? If we wait, we would have to ride illegally to the station and hope we don't get caught and fined the 40 Euros. I do not want to do that!

I really didn't use trams much on the last trip to Frankfurt, but this time I can see we will be relying on them quite heavily. The only station I see is in front of the Sheraton where we will be staying for most of our trip. The first night we will be at the B&B hotel because we are arriving early. I see on some maps little blue tram symbols running on many streets n the area. Do trams stop only at tram stations or can a person get on and off at any point on the route? In other words, can we stand on a corner near the B&B and wave to get the tram to stop like a bus in the US or do we have to walk to the station?

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,592 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RMV Question

Yes, you can buy your tickets from the machine at the tram stop. Very easy to use touch screen that switches into English. You will need small bills or coins for these machines. The trams only stop at designated stops, you cannot wave them down. Your all day ticket is valid on all forms of transportation, buses, trams, S-bahns and Ubahns.

In Frankfurt, you don't validate the ticket, it is time stamped by the machine itself. You can't buy your tickets ahead of time except for the Frankfurt Card. The Frankfurt Card may pay for itself if you go to some of the pricier museums like the Städel, Schirn, or Liebieg Haus or visit the Palmengarten.

Huntington, WV
Level Contributor
146 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: RMV Question

Ok, got it. I didn't remember validating tickets in Frankfurt, but that doesn't mean much considering the way my memory is these days. lol

One more stupid question for now. Even though you can only get on a tram at a stop are they like a bus in that you can pull the cord (or indicate by some other means) when you want to get off at any point? If not, I don't see the point of maps referencing the tram routes on all the side streets.

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,592 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: RMV Question

The trams have dedicated stops. They will stop at each one of these. The doors don't open automatically, you have to push the button on the door.

You can plan your route by seeing where you need to get off closest to your destination or a connecting tram, U-bahn, bus, etc. I often take multiple forms of transport going from point A to point B. If you use the RMV website, it will help you plan your connections and give you the most efficient route, with the least amount of time wasted.

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
7,180 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: RMV Question

> I don't see the point of maps referencing the tram routes on all the side streets.

All the blue dots with the tram symbol in Google Maps are dedicated stops. Google even gives you the name of the stop, e.g. "Bürostadt Niederrad" for the one right at the Sheraton.

Huntington, WV
Level Contributor
146 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: RMV Question

Haha. Yes, I know the named dots are stops. I've downloaded a few offline maps and they all have little blue trams with arrows going on a lot of side streets all through the neighborhood. I just wondered why they would show that if it was completely useless information. Sure, it's nice to know where the trams go, but not so interesting if they only stop at the designated stops anyway.

Huntington, WV
Level Contributor
146 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: RMV Question

Bornheimgirl,

I know I seem really dense with these tram questions. Sorry about that. Believe it or not, I have traveled quite a bit in Germany using both long distance and local public transportation. I've not had much experience with trams though. It's usually a straight trip on a train or maybe like in Berlin a bus from the airport to a certain train station and catch a train to a stop within a street or two of the hotel.

This is really the first time I've been anywhere in Germany when I can't come above ground from a train station and be within three of four streets of where I need to be. Also, I have been looking at pictures posted online of the tram stop in from of the Sheraton and I can't see where there are any ticket machines, but there must be some there.

Oh well. I'll figure it out when I get there. Thanks so much to everyone for the information.

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,592 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: RMV Question

If you lived here and always rode them, then it would make sense. If they had to stop every time someone wanted to get on or off, it would take forever for the tram to get where it is going to. 1000's of commuters are riding these daily and they need to keep to a schedule so people can plan on making their train connection.

I bet your city also has maps showing where the bus routes are. Every city has this.

Last year I rode the buses a few times in Col. Ohio and had to laugh, it was so antiquated, with ropes to pull to let the driver know you wanted to get off at their next designated stop and using ancient buses, and it took about an hour and half to go a route that I could have driven in a fourth of the time. Here it is the opposite. A car will take much, much longer than public transportation.

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
7,180 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: RMV Question

> I've downloaded a few offline maps and they all have little blue trams with arrows going on a lot of side streets all through the neighborhood. I just wondered why they would show that if it was completely useless information.

Those arrows have nothing to do with tram lines which only run along more or less major throughfares. The arrows in side streets indicate into which direction cars can use them as in quite many urban neighborhoods one may get lost in a labyrinth of one-way streets.

I really like trams! Imho they are the easiest means of transportation. Also the stops are usually only a few hundred meters from each other, so there would hardly be a necessity to make them stop even more frequently.

Reg ticket machines: Have a look at the tram stop at the Sheraton on Google Street View. You will see blue machines on each side of the tracks. They are the same as at any other RMV station, so you will definitely be able to pull whatever tickets you may need right at that stop.