We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a Car in September - Frankfurt-Prague-Return Berlin

Which Frankfurt hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
82 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Renting a Car in September - Frankfurt-Prague-Return Berlin

Hi ALL,

I live in LA USA and would be visiting DE in Aug-Sept

Most of the journey we are taking trains but would like to drive cars on Autobahns too!

Following are my concerns:

1. Is US license good enough or I need international license?

2. I can understand like US it is cheaper to rent a car NOT from Airport/Train station. Any suggested

Car rental companies? I perefer the internatinal ones like AVIS or HERTZ? Are they good?

3. What optimal insurance is ok?

4. I would like to drive out of country to prague and leave car to Berlin - what should I take care of?

5. Do we get to rent GPS (in Eng ) like in US?

6. I have read in forums that companies charge ( i.e. try to dupe you) any experience?

7. What credit cards work ( i do not have chip credit cards like in EU it is US card)

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
82 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a Car in September - Frankfurt-Prague-Return Berlin

BTW i booked cancelable booking from HERTZ Frankfurt HBF....do they accept insurance from Allianz?

Hanau, Germany
Level Contributor
2,226 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting a Car in September - Frankfurt-Prague-Return Berlin

Why don't you contact http://www.gemut.com/ for a quote they are highly recommended by fellow americans, no personal experience.

Taking the car into Czechia can be a problem some rental firms don't allow it at all, others only the lower end cars, that is why I recommended Gemut.

For Germany you don't need an IPD but most likely for Czechia, also it could cost quite a bit to dehire in another city, but that depends on the car rental firm, so be sure to check that carefully.

Cars and cities don't go together very well in Europe, hard to find parking and then it's expensive, fuel much more expensive than in the US, so I would do the trip by train and then rent a car for some days to drive the Autobahn, maybe rent in Dresden and then drive to Berlin and drop the car off.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
82 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting a Car in September - Frankfurt-Prague-Return Berlin

Thanks, I just submitted a quote request with them. The website looks non-professional but heard lots of good reviews.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
16,522 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting a Car in September - Frankfurt-Prague-Return Berlin

you say that you have already booked with hertz. have a look at their terms and conditions, your questions will be answered there.

Hanau, Germany
Level Contributor
2,226 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting a Car in September - Frankfurt-Prague-Return Berlin

I think the website has a lot of good information on it about driving in Germany, maybe it looks non-professional because it's a family buisness instead of a global player, those are often better because they value their customers more, only my personal opinion, but since everybody comes here to vent about their terrible car rental experiences it looks like they do a good job.

What does Hertz, Thrifty, Terstappen, etc care if you give them bad reviews, that will not put them out of buisness.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
82 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Renting a Car in September - Frankfurt-Prague-Return Berlin

Agreed! lets see what gemut offers me.

7. Re: Renting a Car in September - Frankfurt-Prague-Return Berlin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2015, 06:24