We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Berger strasse

Which Frankfurt hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wilmslow, United...
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Berger strasse

We are interesting in visiting this area for some shopping and restaurants. I have a few questions perhaps the locals can help me out.

Is it true that there is a market on the Wednesdays ?

What kind if things does it sell?

What time is the market on til?

What time are the shops open til?

We are staying in a hotel near the airport - which train station should we get off at?

We would also like to see the Chinese garden - please can you tell us how to get there.

Any replied very much appreciated :-)

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,197 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Berger strasse

Wochenmarkt Bornheim We 08:00 - 18:30

http://www.frankfurt.de/sixcms/detail.php?id=4623&_ffmpar[_id_inhalt]=102202

here an overview of the stalls and what they sell (you may want to throw this into an online translator)

frankfurter-markthaendler.de/uebersicht.html

Query from the address of your hotel. "Near" the airport is sometimes quite remote.

www.rmv.de/auskunft/bin/jp/query.exe/en

To: Franfkurt (Main) Bornheim Mitte

Wilmslow, United...
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Berger strasse

Thanks for the links! I am staying at the steigenberger airport hotel, which does a a shuttle bus free to the airport, so I will be getting my trains from there. Is the airport local trains station called hauptbahnof ?

Thankyou

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
6,658 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Berger strasse

Hauptbahnhof is the central station near downtown Frankfurt, the station for the regional trains at the airport is called "Regionalbahnhof". it is in the basement of Terminal 1.

As Berger Strasse is such a long street it has several U-bahn/subway stops: Merianplatz, Höhenstraße, Bornheim Mitte. To visit the chinese garden at Bethmannpark you may want to go to Konstablerwache (direct trains from airport) and hop on tram line 12 or 18 to Hessendenkmal (one stop) right at the park. You reach the lower end of Berger Strasse at the other side of the Bethmannpark and may just walk along as long as you find it interesting. Be aware though that some traditional applewine pubs like Zur Sonne or Solzer are located well beyond subway stop Bornheim Mitte so it can become a lenghty walk if you want to visit one of those.

Wilmslow, United...
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Berger strasse

Thanks for your response. I would like to visit some of the traditional apple wine pubs, which stop is best to get off for this? And which do you recommend - for a cosy drink rather than a big night out?

Thankyou

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,526 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Berger strasse

Bornheim Mitte is the stop you want. I would take the U-4 from the Konstablerwache, and you can get off at Merien Platz, walk through the Bethmann park and the Chinese garden before heading up the Berger Str. The Market is located at the Bornheim Mitte stop and the restaurants are a bit farther up the Berger. It isn't that far to walk this whole distance.

Either restaurant is nice. Just walk in and look at them, check out the menu.

Wilmslow, United...
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Berger strasse

So can I just clarify, from the airport I get the s bahn (s8 or s9) into the city centre - kobstablawche (?) then from there get the u bahn to bornheim mitte?

Please can you tell me which type of ticket is best to get - there will be two of us together.

And just one more question .... What is a bembel?

Thankyou so much

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,526 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Berger strasse

An all day ticket for 15 euro will cover both of you on all forms of transport.

A bembel is a salt glazed, blue and grey pottery pitcher that applewine is served in.

https://www.google.de/search…

8. Re: Berger strasse

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2015, 06:16