We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boat Ride - from Frankfurt to Rudesheim / St Goarshausen

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Boat Ride - from Frankfurt to Rudesheim / St Goarshausen

Hello,

I'm going to Frankfurt for 5 nights in August. One day I would love to go on a boat trip up the Rhine to the Niederwald and Loreley.

It's hard to find much info. online about how to do this - and was just wondering if somebody has done it before. I have managed to find a boat that does the trip at this website-

primus-linie.de/en/fahrten/Ruedesheim-St-Goa…

Is that the only company that does the trip? Is it the cheapest method?

Can you advise what the best trip would be to do? We would love to go on the cable car ski lift thing - is there two chair lifts? It looks so beautiful and so much fun! Do you advise just seeing the Niederwald Monument? How do you get up and down to the Loreley - I will be with somebody who has loose cartilage in their knee and wouldn't be able to walk too far in the heat. - I don't want to tire them out :) Is St Goarhausen a shame to miss and the Loreley or just go to Rudesheim and the Niederwald? Should we buy the tickets in advance or wait until the day we leave? It would likely be a Monday we travel there.

How do you get back from the trip - is it by train? If anybody has any info.

Thanks in advance :)

Goethe Monument
Monuments & Statues
Liebfrauen - Ort der Stille
Points of Interest & Landmarks, Monuments & Statues, Churches & Cathedrals
Uhrtuermchen
Monuments & Statues
Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boat Ride - from Frankfurt to Rudesheim / St Goarshausen

(also, is the walk from the Niederwald to Assmanshausen far?)

Can we just get the boat to the Niederwald, walk to Assmanshausen, then get the train back from Assmanshausen to Frankfurt? (I'm confused about how to get back from Assmanshausen to Frankfurt) :)

Edited: 08 July 2014, 21:46
greeley, CO
Level Contributor
2,950 posts
482 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boat Ride - from Frankfurt to Rudesheim / St Goarshausen

Take the train to Assmanhausen, do the ride up to the Niederwald, back to Rudesheim where you get the KD boat to Boppard. Then train back to Frankfurt.

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
9,982 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boat Ride - from Frankfurt to Rudesheim / St Goarshausen

As suggested by bigtyke: Take the train to the Rhine and start the cruise there. Cruising from Frankfurt would take forever and is not particularly scenic. There is a direct train from Frankfurt to Rüdesheim every hour, another option would be a train to Bingen across the river from Rüdesheim (regular ferry service between both).

You can visit Rüdesheim, ride the gondola up to Niederwald monument, then walk to the chairlift which takes you down to Assmannshausen (easy, level walk, very enjoyable). Get on a cruise boat (e.g. one of the KD ships k-d.com/en/…c572 ) to St Goarshausen or Boppard and catch a train back to Frankfurt.

Edited: 09 July 2014, 09:26
Mentioned in this post
Assmannshausen
Assmannshausen
Hesse, Germany
Cochem, Germany
Level Contributor
23 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boat Ride - from Frankfurt to Rudesheim / St Goarshausen

Take the train to Rüdesheim. You can buy tickets at a machine at any train station. You want the regional group ticket (up to 5 people) which will cost you 31.90 for the both of you, return. You can visit the Niederwald monument by gondola and to answer your question, yes, it is worth seeing, but don't even think of walking down to Assmanshausen if your friend has knee problems. Take the boat in Rüdesheim and sail up to St. Goarshausen. The Köln-Düsseldorfer line runs cruises every hour, tickets available at the landing stage.

https://www.k-d.com/en/home/

If you opt to sail to St Goarshausen, you can take a bus up to the top of the Lorely, stopping either at the visitor centre or at the car park. Again, don't even consider walking as the going is very steep and takes around an hour even without mobility issues.

loreley-besucherzentrum.de/fileadmin/lbz_dat…

You will need to buy an additional train ticket back to Rüdesheim, since you will be out of the region served by the group ticket. I think that's around 8 euros pp.

Good luck!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
18,110 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boat Ride - from Frankfurt to Rudesheim / St Goarshausen

If you present your trainticket at the KD Line Landing Stage, you will get a 10% (or even 20%, not sure) discount

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,992 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boat Ride - from Frankfurt to Rudesheim / St Goarshausen

I would just go to Rüdesheim, take the chair lift up and then back down again, and then ride the ship to St. Goar. Take the train back to Frankfurt. You will see dozens of castles this way and won't have to walk that far.

There are 100's of posts on this forum about how to do this.

7. Re: Boat Ride - from Frankfurt to Rudesheim / St Goarshausen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 00:16