We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 hours in frankfurt

Which Frankfurt hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Athens, Greece
2 posts
Save Topic
4 hours in frankfurt

hello everybody!

me and my boyfriend will be in Frankfurt airport for 4 and a half hours before we catch our flight! i read on an article that with the train it is like 15 minutes to get for the airport to the main city so i guess we will be able for a really quick sightseeing! correct? which is the best station to hop off from the train so we will be in a nice place to walk around for a bit and see some main attractions? thanks everybody!

Inchicore, Dublin...
Level Contributor
975 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 hours in frankfurt

Hi,

take S8 or S9 from Frankfurt Airport to Frankfurt Hauptwache - the trip is 20mins and costs 8,70€ p.p return. Note some trains only operate till Hbf. (central station).

Holger

Edited: 13 July 2014, 00:11
New York
Level Contributor
2,345 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 hours in frankfurt

With such a short window, you have to calculate very carefully. For example, is the 4 hours net of getting back to the airport in time to check in, get through security, get to the gate (FRA is really big and one mistaken turn....) Have you checked how frequently the trains come? I don't have any better ideas except to stay put or possibly go get a nice meal at the Schweinsteg (or something like that) - the hotel it's attached to has a shuttle bus.

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
7,180 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 hours in frankfurt

A very quick sightseeing! Effectively you won't have more than two hours but that's enough for a nice walk through the city.

My recommendation: Take S8 or S9 direction Offenbach from the regional train station in Terminal 1. Get off at Taunusanlage, a park on the edge of the financial district with its skyscrapers. Follow the exit to Alte Oper, the beautiful old opera house. From there keep to the right and walk down the pedestrian zone. This strip is known as "Fressgasse", lots of restaurants. You will come out at Hauptwache, not particularly scenic but something like the heart of the city. It is also the beginning of the Zeil, Frankfurt's busiest shopping zone. Turn into Neue Kräme (next to the Esprit store). At the next square to the left is the entrance to Kleinmarkthalle, a market hall worth a peak. Continue down Neue Kräme past Paulskirche (a church turned into Germany's first national parliament building in 1848) onto Römer square. You may want to check out the cathedral, then walk down to the Main river, across Eiserner Steg (iron bridge) for a nice city view. Cross back on the next bridge downriver and at Willy-Brandt-Platz get onto tram line 11 or 12 towards Hauptbahnhof from where you can return to the airport by train.

You can cover all the transportation buying a group day ticket (Gruppentageskarte) for 15 EUR for up to five persons from a ticket machine at the airport (can't miss them on the way to the tracks).

Edited: 13 July 2014, 10:36
Athens, Greece
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 hours in frankfurt

thank you so much everybody!! that was really helpfull!! i really appreciate it!! take care and make lots of trips!! :))

New York
Level Contributor
2,345 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 hours in frankfurt

I agree with Oli. If you can squeeze it in, include the new Turn & Taxis palace and highrise. They've done a great job. And windowshop at Frederichs in Goethe Strasse - just 50 - 100 meter detour.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,362 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 hours in frankfurt

Personally, if your wait is over lunch time, I would go into Frankfurt and have a nice lunch of potatoes and boiled eggs with the special green sauce near the "oldtown", and then use any spare time to look at places nearby.

7. Re: 4 hours in frankfurt

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 07:15