We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

frankfurt to hannover

vancouver
Level Contributor
34 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
frankfurt to hannover

what is the best way to travel from frankfurt to hannover?

i've only found train tickets so far but want to see if there is anything more affordable... we are travelling as a group of 3 people, would it be cheaper to rent a car? or take a bus? i have only been able to find a bus connection overnight but we arrive in frankfurt in the morning so this doesn't work out....

thanks!

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: frankfurt to hannover

Long distance bus travel is not common in Germany. Rail travel is by far the chosen method.

Lufthansa offer return flights between Frankfurt (FRA) and Hannover (HAJ) for €99 (German webpages) or CAD$127 (Canadian webpages).

www.lufthansa.com

A return ticket by rail (direct ICE train) between Frankfurt-am-Main Hauptbahnhof and Hannover Hauptbahnhof costs €142 (~ CAD$200). Frankfurt airport to Hannover Hbf by rail (direct ICE train) costs €144. The journey time from Frankfurt(Main)Hbf is 2hrs 19mins and from Frankfurt airport it is 2hrs 35mins.

Rail tickets can be purchased on the day of travel at a ticket machine in Frankfurt or booked in advance at the Deutsche Bahn website, where timetables and prices can also be found.

www.bahn.de (Click on "Internat. Guests" for English-language pages)

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,402 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: frankfurt to hannover

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

To: Hannover

ICE ~ 2,5 hrs EUR 72,00 pp

IC/EC ~ 4 hrs EUR 56,00 pp

regional trains ~ 5,25 hrs EUR 41,20 pp

But you can travel nearly always for cheaper with regional trains:

Sa or Su: Happy-Weekend-Ticket

EUR 30,00 (for all of you together)

Mo-Fr after 9am: Hesse Ticket (EUR 25,00) + Lower Saxony Ticket (EUR 24,00) (again for all of you together)

Nice: these special tickets cover also the trams and buses in Hannover

Hanover, Germany
Level Contributor
1,277 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: frankfurt to hannover

Lufthansa also offers one-way tickets on this route, starting from 231 CAD for 3 persons. But these cheaper tickets are not flexible, if you miss your flight because of a late arrival from Canada, you will have a problem.

http://www.lufthansa.com

vancouver
Level Contributor
34 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: frankfurt to hannover

thanks for your help!

i think the Hesse Ticket (EUR 25,00) and Lower Saxony Ticket (EUR 24,00) will be good for us... so i will be able to purchase these tickets at the frankfurt airport station and also are there any additional fees or taxes to the cost?

where can i find more info on how to take the regional trains from franfurt to hannover and which stations to change trains?

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,764 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: frankfurt to hannover

>i think the Hesse Ticket (EUR 25,00) and Lower Saxony Ticket (EUR 24,00) will be good for us... so i will be able to purchase these tickets at the frankfurt airport station and also are there any additional fees or taxes to the cost?

No, what you see is what you pay :-)

You will certainly be able to buy a Hessen-Ticket in Frankfurt airport. I am not sure about the Lower Saxony ticket.

>where can i find more info on how to take the regional trains from franfurt to hannover and which stations to change trains?

Go to www.bahn.de, plug in start and goal and choose "only local transport" option in the drop-down menu.

Don't forget to use Frankfurt airport station and not Frankfurt as your starting point.

vancouver
Level Contributor
34 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: frankfurt to hannover

on the website i found a connection that leaves frankfurt airport at 8:52am....would i be able to take that train using the hesse ticket?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,402 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: frankfurt to hannover

Hesse Ticket is EUR 25,00 if you buy it from a ticket machine (there are plenty). At the counter it's EUR 27,00.

The Lower Saxony Ticket is however not available at the ticket machines in Frankfurt. Probably at the counter (again for EUR 2,00 more). Or latest from the conductor in the train crossing from Hesse to Lower Saxony (also EUR 2,00 more to my knowledge).

You can buy both tickets also online. This part of the ticket shop is however only in German. But yo can register at the DB timetable in English first. Shipping is free. DB asks for 7 work days to ship outside of Europe. Please note that the Hesse (Hessen) or Lower Saxony (Niedersachsen) Ticket are not refundable.

https:/…

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,402 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: frankfurt to hannover

> Frankfurt Airport dep 08:52 on the Hesse Ticket

The Hesse Ticket is on weekdays only valid past 9am. Thus it will not cover the 8 min before part of the trip. You can buy normal tickets to the first stop with a departure after 9am and travel on the Happy-Weekend-Ticket from there on.

Guess this point will be Frankfurt Hbf. Than you'll need an RMV ticket for EUR 3,25 pp (available from ticket machines at Franfkurt Airport).

9. Re: frankfurt to hannover

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 06:22