We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exploring Frankfurt City .. Worthwhile

Which Frankfurt hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Exploring Frankfurt City .. Worthwhile

I will be held in Frankfurt Airport for 8 hrs while waiting for my next flight back home. As I will be alone, I would like to seek advice if it is worthwhile to travel out to explore Frankfurt.

If yes:

1. Where is the MUST SEE attractions?

2. Which is the nearest shopping centre to go so that I have ample time to travel back to Airport ? Preferably, one which is located near a train station.

Frankfurt, Germany
Destination Expert
for Garden Route
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exploring Frankfurt City .. Worthwhile

Well, it really depends on how tired you are.

Frankfurt isn't too great a city to visit, but the airport isn't too great either. Getting into Frankfurt is easy and convinient. Take the S-Bahn from the REGIONAL train station (lines S8 or S9) to Hauptwache. There you are in the middle of the city. It is a 5 minutes walk to the Römer (the old town hall) to get a glimpse of how Frankfurt used to look like.

Other rather nice attractions are the old opera house (Alte Oper) and the Fressgass' (a pedestian mall from Hauptwache to the Alte Oper with cafés, restaurants etc).

If you plan to do some shopping, "Zeil" is the most popular shopping street in Frankfurt, right at the Hauptwache. The city of Frankfurt is really compact, no need to rush. Shopping hours are 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Singapore
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Exploring Frankfurt City .. Worthwhile

Thanks Dudel for your help and advice.

I will travel from Brazil to Madrid to Frankfurt before going back to Singapore. You're right on the state of my condition during that period if I still have the energy to travel to city.

One last question, how is the weather in Jan (4 Jan) in Frankfurt ? Is it too cold to travel around in the city ?

I have prepared some winter clothing but I am not sure if I can take the weather since I come from a tropical island - Singapore with one season in 365 days - SUMMER.

Frankfurt, Germany
Destination Expert
for Garden Route
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exploring Frankfurt City .. Worthwhile

Well weatherwise, this year had us all guessing. At the beginning of January the weather is usually unpleasant wet and cold near 0°C, but it can be clear, cold and nice or rain at 2°C and windy. I would take good warm shoes, gloves, a scarf and a warm jacket. Personally, if the weather is awful, I would not go into the city. I live here and I like the city, but unless you have a special interest in the city, no real reason to do some overtired sightseeing.

KG
Oregon
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exploring Frankfurt City .. Worthwhile

If the weather is awful and you are too tired..you can use several hotels for day use only...usually have to be out by 6 pm. The Sheraton provides this service. I spent the night there a couple of weeks ago as I was too tired for anymore sightseeing and just wanted some peace and quiet before heading out on my next flight.

5. Re: Exploring Frankfurt City .. Worthwhile

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 19:17