We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Army/Air Force Installations in Wiesbaden

Which Wiesbaden hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Raleigh, NC
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Army/Air Force Installations in Wiesbaden

Does anyone know anything about Camp Pieri or the Hainerberg housing area in Wiesbaden? I was stationed in Wiesbaden 1962-1963 and did volunteer work in the Hainerberg Chapel. My wife and I are returning to Wiesbaden for a week, beginning August 19. I realize that very little will be the same as it was then. It may be that none of the above is still standing, but it will be a treat just to be back in the area that I enjoyed so much. Also, the plus of sharing it with my wife for the first time. It would help if I knew what to expect.

Thanks for any response.

Tarpon Springs, FL
1 post
Save Reply
41. Re: Army/Air Force Installations in Wiesbaden

My name is Robert Bleakley. I served in the White House Communication Agency as a cryptologist and was in Wiesbaded when President Kennedy visited back in June of 1962. Do you remember where the communication center was on the air base? It sounded like you were involved with a "secure phone" call patch. As you probably know the secure communication lines are continually garbled. When we were sending or receiving messages for the President the German civilians would see the garbled letters, etc. and would pull down the line to try and fix them. We had to explain please, please leave the lines alone as everything was working like it should.

I had found memories in Wiesbaded and stayed at the Von Stueben Hotel. When Kennedy arrived practical all of the staff in the hotel ran out as well as many other admirers onto the landscape and the Secret Service went ballistic. In a few short minues we were the only people left in the hotel restaurant--Bon Appetit.

If you see this message or others I would like to hear some other stories.

Sincerely,

Bob Bleakley, Tarpon Springs, Florida

Huntsville, AL
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Army/Air Force Installations in Wiesbaden

My daughter was also born at the Wiesbaden Air Force hospital (nov79). I was stationed at Camp Pieri from 76 to 81. In 85 I returned to Mainz and stayed until 89. Beautiful are to live.

maryland
1 post
Save Reply
43. Re: Army/Air Force Installations in Wiesbaden

Hello I was stationed at the hospital from 1975-1978. I was a medic.

I am sure that I may remember you. Sandy I worked on the orthopedic floor and the ICU unit. Sandy

Santa Fe, Missouri
4 posts
Save Reply
44. Re: Army/Air Force Installations in Wiesbaden

Like to hear from anyone who was there 69-72 in the Hainerberg Chapel area and base.

Ogden, Utah
Level Contributor
2 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Army/Air Force Installations in Wiesbaden

Stationed at Lindsey AS from 1985 - 1989... lived in Crestview Housing (4 Marsweg A-6). Was with 1st Comm. Went back to Wiesbaden in Oct 1994... big change. Was there until Oct 1998. The AF was largely gone... I worked at ETC in Mainz-Kastel. Lived in Crestview (again) at 10 Merkurstrasse A-5.

Going back to Wiesbaden next year. Want to see all the changes.

Edited: 19 June 2013, 04:17
Santa Fe, Missouri
4 posts
Save Reply
46. Re: Army/Air Force Installations in Wiesbaden

Well, I can imagine what a change, but what about being there in 1969-1972 when Hq USAFE was there and the Air Base at that was the support for them (7101) I miss it but I know why they moved. I was just in the AF for one hitch, wish I stayed. I was in Personal in duty status. Would like to know some more infor and every thing that had changed. Write jci32180@hotmail.com

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Army/Air Force Installations in Wiesbaden

Was stationed at the USAF hospital from 11/1974 until 11/1977. Lived in Hainerberg on the 3rd floor at #6 Texas Str, which was pretty plush after our attic apt in a 300 y/o bldg on Karl Peter Str. Visited for a week in 09/2005. One of our favorite places!

Staten Island, New...
1 post
Save Reply
48. Re: Army/Air Force Installations in Wiesbaden

I was stationed at the 97th General Hospital from 77 to 79. I was in the ambulance section and made untold medivac runs to Wiesbaden and Rhine Main. After our runs, we would invariably wind up in a little joint on base that looked like a cafeteria where we would get half-hammered on Binding and/or Henninger before driving back to Frankfurt. We had a lot of fun with you Blue-Boys as we used to call you.

I was the lead of a guitar duo we called Major Ogilvie--we took the name from an Alabama Crimson Tide football player; we thought it sounded cool, and with us both being E-3 PFCs, it was intended to be ironic. We were regulars at the Rod and Gun club and played the NCO club quite a bit too.

Anyway, I'm hoping to visit the area next Summer (2014), and was wondering if anyone can tell me if the Rod and Gun Club is still there. I'm guessing no.

Man what a great time it was there in the late 70s! When people hear that I'm an Army vet, and use the new tag-line "Thank You For Your Service," I am frankly a little embarrassed; I always tell them this: Thank you, but save that for the warriors 'causeI fought the Cold War; kept the German Beer safe from them godless commies; It was tasty duty, but somebody had to do it! " Most get my intended message that my "service" was no great sacrifice--unless you call partying my butt off all over Central Europe for 2-1/2 years a sacrifice! Well, excepting Winters in Wildflecken, and choking on the dust summering at Grafenwöhr of course!

Finally If anyone has any pictures of the Rod and Gun Club, or the NCO club, please contact me at screamingsigns@aol.com

Mililani hawaii
1 post
Save Reply
49. Re: Army/Air Force Installations in Wiesbaden

I was a patient at the USAF hospital july to sep 1968. Air evac from San Vito Italy . A Doctor

Organ Alemdroglu aka (Dr. Orhan) saved my

Life when he performed a most differ cult surgery to reassemble multiple fractures and dislocations of my neck. 47 years later and

Still strong and healthy . My much belated, THANK YOU Dr. Orhan. The most caring man

I ever knew, "TEX" the best medical tech. Ever,

THANKS TEX, that silver bullet "saved the day".

50. Re: Army/Air Force Installations in Wiesbaden

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2015, 19:16