We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Army/Air Force Installations in Wiesbaden

Which Wiesbaden hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cape Coral, Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
Army/Air Force Installations in Wiesbaden

I read with great interest the various comments and observations of the Wiesbaden military community. I too was first stationed at Lindsey Air Station in 1961. Worked at the 497th Compound in Schierstein which no longer exist. It is now a complex of German apartments. Lindsey AS was turned of to the city of Wiesbaden in the 1980s. USAFE Headquarters moved to its current location at Ramstein AB near Kaiserslautern. My German wife and I visit Wiesbaden every summer for three monthe for the past six years. Mainz-Kastel AS is still there. Wiesbaden AB is now Wiesbaden AAF. Major renovations are on-going in the Wiesbaden military community. Heidelberg and Mannheim military units will relocate to Wiesbaden starting this year (2011). A new miitary hotel has been constructed in the Hainerberg housing area along with a new Entertainment Center next door.. Housing areas Aukamn, Crestview, and Hainerberg are also under major renovations. The American Arms hotel is still in place. Mainz-Kastel housing is no longer used. Hainerberg Shopping Center is still around but major plans for a new face will occur soon to include a new PX and Commissary. Wiesbaden city has changed a lot since the 1960s. Nicer and more shopping and restaurants. Due to the Dollar exchange rate, hardly any Amercans go downtown. Camp Perry no longer exist. I am a USAF/Civil Service retiree. If anyone wants more info about Wiesbaden, I will try to help. My email is gomessr@aol.com Prosit.

56 replies to this topic
Atascadero...
Destination Expert
for Lake Powell
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Army/Air Force Installations in Wiesbaden

My dad was in the Air Force, and we were stationed in Wiesbaden from 1967-71. I went to school at Lindsey Elementary, which was an old WW II era installation of some sort. I lived at 15 Biebricher Allee ("on the economy", as my dad would say), which is an old building circa 1910 or so, near the Landeshaus. Pretty sure it's still there. I went to a German Kindergarten just down the street, run by the nuns at Clemenshaus. I think it still exists. (The nuns spoke little English, except to tell me "you can eat", after the prayers were done. I learned German fast, by necessity...)

I lived there during 1970, when they had a massive flood of the Rhine River, I think in February that year. I remember the high water well, right up to all kinds of buildings...

Last time I was in Wiesbaden was 2000...much changed, but also quite familiar. A great place to grow up as a kid...

I remember my dad taking road trips to the Canadian Air Force Base at Baden-Baden to buy cheap hi-fi and camera equipment...I assume that base is long gone...does anyone know?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,330 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Army/Air Force Installations in Wiesbaden

"I remember my dad taking road trips to the Canadian Air Force Base at Baden-Baden to buy cheap hi-fi and camera equipment...I assume that base is long gone...does anyone know?"

Yes. It's now the Baden-Baden/Karlsruhe Airport.

Atascadero...
Destination Expert
for Lake Powell
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Army/Air Force Installations in Wiesbaden

thanks for the information, Marco!

Edited: 21 April 2011, 16:31
Santa Fe, Missouri
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Army/Air Force Installations in Wiesbaden

Hey There!

I was station on the Air Base and work in the Hainerberg housing area across from the American High School, H. H. Arnold in the chapel for the years 1969-1972, boy do I have fond memories of that. I enjoy reading other that were station there and around the area in the Air Force and the Army 1st to 5th and the 8th Airborne School on base. Would love to here from anyone there I might know. Please write, jci3218081@yahoo.com.

James "Woody" Woodrow Sgt./retired.

Santa Fe, Missouri
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Army/Air Force Installations in Wiesbaden

John,

How nice to hear from you and your story of Wiesbaden. I was just a kid myself when I was there in 69 (20) and a buck Sgt in the Chapel in Hberg. I am sure you had some of the same people I knew or your father knew when I was assign there. I spent the first year in basic, school, and 6 month in Grand Forks AFB in North Dakota, then sent to Wiesbaden for remainer of my enlistment. You say you learn alot being there your not the only one, and I learn German from the workers at the Chapel instead of the Military School. It was easy and better to speak German to them, they appreciated you more and became your friend.

My roomate work at the air field on the base support of USAFE, so I knew when and where the planes were going and if I had the time off I went with them and saw alot of Europe that way. I work at the hospital Chapel several times with the Chaplin and so I met the Doctors their also. I think I might have met your dad, but you got to remember it only has been 42 years since I been there. LOL, shoot me in the foot.

My training in Accounting and office routine got me a job when I got out and used it for 12 years until I had a heart attack. Then had more (2) and open heart surgery and couldn't work and got to be disabled at 40 through the Veterans Admin. until present. Still quite active but not allow to or can't handle a job on a 5 day 40 hour week. So I am a disabled Veteran status and live on government disability.

I hope you won't be a stranger and we can be friends and write back and forth, I live where I was raised, in Mark Twain County in Missouri, Mark Twain is from 10 miles from where he was born, Flordia, and raised as a young boy and 40 miles from the rest of his boyhood in Hannibal on the Mississippi River. Great place to visit and maybe vacation. I from a small town, 70 people counting dogs and cats, call Santa Fe if you are looking on the map.

Well until next time, John,

Woody Woodrow

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
6 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Army/Air Force Installations in Wiesbaden

I remember Wiesbaden very well as our family was stationed there. I, too, went to Lindsay Elementary School at Lindsay Air Station. We went to the commissary in Hainerberg which is also where my sister went to high school. I have fond memories of riding my bike through the streets and being asked by older German women if we could buy them peanut butter.

Lot s of great memories freezing outside waiting for the Air Force bus to pick us up to go to school in the dark winter mornings. Also remember the Kuhrhaus and my parents going there. Good to share those memories.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
167 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Army/Air Force Installations in Wiesbaden

I am preparing for an upcoming vacation in Berlin and curiosity got the best of me. I started browsing all the forums for Germany and happened upon this on for Lindsey Air Base. I also attended school at Lindsey Air Base in 1968 to 1970. I have fond memories of time in Germany. Yes, the cold cold weather too. What I remember most are my neighbors across the street. They were german. And frau Gutveila baked home made breads and apple strudels. On the way home from the bus stop. My friend Russel Mabus and I would stop by her home. We would knock on her door and cup our hands.

And ask for " brot und butter bitte".... What fond memories.

4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Army/Air Force Installations in Wiesbaden

I also went to Lindsey Elementry, 1969-1971. I remember we took a bus from Russelsheim, were we lived, on the economy, which that's what we called it also, to Lindsey and. my dad was in the air force, too. The teacher which I had, in the 4th or 5th grade, its hard to remember, and I don't recall his name, was a heavy set man with a full beard and mustache. He used to make us hold dictionarys in our hands with arms straight out for times when we got in trouble. I do remember the building was maybe 3 stories high and very old. That just blows me away that I read about you being there too. I live in Texas now, my father died in 2000. I'm Tammy, 53yrs old and would love to hear more.

4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Army/Air Force Installations in Wiesbaden

I also went to Lindsey Elementry, 1969-1971. I remember we took a bus from Russelsheim, were we lived, on the economy, which that's what we called it also, to Lindsey and. my dad was in the air force, too. The teacher which I had, in the 4th or 5th grade, its hard to remember, and I don't recall his name, was a heavy set man with a full beard and mustache. He used to make us hold dictionarys in our hands with arms straight out for times when we got in trouble. I do remember the building was maybe 3 stories high and very old. That just blows me away that I read about you being there too. I live in Texas now, my father died in 2000. I'm Tammy, 53yrs old and would love to hear more.

4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Army/Air Force Installations in Wiesbaden

Reply to: Army/Air Force Installations in Wiesbaden
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted