We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shorts in Churches

Which Rostock hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Katy Texas
Level Contributor
65 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Shorts in Churches

I now this is rather silly question! We will be visiting Germany in July so assume it will be at least warm if not actually hot. Shorts (not short shorts, more like just above the knee shorts) are always my clothing of choice (I live in hot Texas where shorts are worn year round) however as we will be visitng churches, St Marys in Rostock, I want to be sure that tourists wearing shorts will be permitted entrance into churches? Need to know for so I can pack accordingly. Thanks for your help.

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
569 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shorts in Churches

Shorts in churches are considered inappropriate. However, I haven't seen anybody who has be denied entrance to a church in Germany due to clothing and I can't hardly imagine this happening in northern Germany.

Katy Texas
Level Contributor
65 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shorts in Churches

Thanks, I appreciate your reply, I couldn't imagine a progressive country like Germany having a problem with what someone wears but thought it best to check. Being a 69 year old, very aging Southern California hippie, most everything I do is inappropriate. Thanks again for taking your time to reply.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,713 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shorts in Churches

It's not so much about Germany being progressive, it's simply a bad sign - a sign of disrespect - that you are sending. You are not going to get anything beyond disapproving glances - but it's up to you to be insensitive and act like an "ugly tourist" or to decide to act in a way considered appropriate.

This said, especially in the Eastern Germany a wide majority of the population is rather irreligious and will mostly not care either way.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,064 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shorts in Churches

"Being a 69 year old, very aging Southern California hippie, most everything I do is inappropriate."

This 37 year old Californian is eternally grateful for the inappropriate things you aging hippies have done in your lives :) Paved the way for us, so to speak.

I don't know how it is in Northern Germany - I have only been to Bavaria - but in Bavaria, I noticed no one, I mean no one giving disapproving glances at tourists visiting churches in shorts - and there were lots of people in shorts. People pop into a church as part of a day of sightseeing - not like visiting the Vatican or something where that IS your day's activity. And those people wearing shorts in German churches are just as likely to be Germans as not. If you were attending a service, then that would be different, but just to see the church - not an issue. If you feel like it, make an extra donation or something for penance for not being dressed properly :)

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,793 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shorts in Churches

Visited Germany in a hot, humid June a couple years back. I wore shorts for sight-seeing, including churches. Germans were wearing them as well. My experience was the same as November-Moon's, no disapproving glances. My knees are also in their 60's and bony with arthritis. That might be my greatest crime in showing them.

I do not like to imply disrespect. There is often no way to avoid it being inferred.

Regards, Gary

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
186 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shorts in Churches

Shorts are fine in Germany. I have traveled all over Germany and seen no problems with it. Italy is another story...

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
232 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shorts in Churches

Since you are from Katy and it get pretty hot I am from Houston so I understand the shorts issues, but I have to warn you it is not as hot as here I have been many time to Germany and most of the times I am cold, I am planning a trip there for this summer and I may pack 1 pair of sorts the other things will be like chinos and such. But like others said you can wear shorts and no one will say or look at you they will know that you are American and a Tourist and they will not give it another thought. Hope you enjoy Germany, we always do.

Calgary
Level Contributor
699 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shorts in Churches

You could get a pair of pants that convert into shorts.

I've got a pair of these and I love them. Very handy when traveling...

thenorthface.com/catalog/…

columbia.com/Men%E2%80%99s-Blood-and-Guts%E2…

9. Re: Shorts in Churches

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2015, 16:15