We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

River Cruise - Amsterdam to Budapest

Langwarrin...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
River Cruise - Amsterdam to Budapest

Hi all,

This is my first post. My wife and I are booked on a riverboat cruise with Avalon Waterways, along the Rhine, from Amsterdam to Budapest in June 2012. We are travelling on a recently new, supposedly moderrn boat called the "Panorama" If anyone has been on this par

ticular trip, (or for that matter, any of these river boat cruises) I would appreciate it if you could enlighten us as to any advice, and stories about the trip. & ie what to bring for the trip, which will be in the European Summer.(Clothes etc and any other incidentals) Thanks,

Neil B

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: River Cruise - Amsterdam to Budapest

The nice thing about river cruises is, that you dock every night in some town. So, if you have forgotten or need somegthing, you can buy it then.You usually dock right in town.

We usually do a lot of sightseeing on our own, only take the ship's tours if some bus or other transportation is necessary to get somehere a bit distant . Fo that we rlay heavily on the Guide Michelin for the country where we are travelling.

Places worth exploring on your cruise: Cololgne, one of the Rhein villages (if you stop in one), Frankfurt, Miltenberg, Wuerzburg, Nueenberfg, Bamberg, Passau, Duernstein, Vienna, Budapest. Take some rain gear along, otherwise comfortable walking shoes.In June, you may still encounter a cool day, so have some "layering" cloth along.

Langwarrin...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: River Cruise - Amsterdam to Budapest

Thanks for that info Treplow. As far as clothing goes, because of the summer, we will go light, but also take something for the cold days. I understand there will be plenty of organised tours at each city we dock at, and am looking forward to the trip. I'll be wearing good walking shoes.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: River Cruise - Amsterdam to Budapest

I don't know your age, but for ollder people (like myself) I recommend taking a collapsible trecking pole along. Those cobbled streets can be tricky.

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
4,780 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: River Cruise - Amsterdam to Budapest

I have done the Budapest to Nuremberg section (About to do Cologne to Amsterdam next month). Weather could be very warm or rather cool so take things that you can layer and a light waterproof. Lots of cobble streets so cumfortable shoes

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
4,780 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: River Cruise - Amsterdam to Budapest

Sorry Post got interrupted by phone call:

The ship has tours of every town included [You have already paid as part of the cruise] which are done by local guides who join you for that day and you get a 'wire free' head set so you can hear what your guide is saying even up to 100mts away and you are generally split into groups of around 20. after the first two days we found that the passengers naturally divided themself into groups of the same walking speed [We had 80 year old power walkers & 40 year old snails on our cruise]. Most nights we were cruising from one town to another but we were never disturbed by any noise. Food was wonderful [only disappointment was they did not have an on board seamstress to alter my waistband] local specialitys most nights, but always with the option of straight forward steak, fish or chicken if you prefered. Beer & wine flowed like water at lunch & dinner and you had to watch you did not over indulge [You have a walking tour to do the following day]. Where the boat was moored outwith walking distance of a town and you had free leisure time a free hourly shuttle bus was provided to take you back and forth to the ship. Evening entertainment was fairly low key with people just relaxing after dinner and chatting. If you look at your itinery as to where you have some free leisure time you may want to investigate things that may be of more interest to you to do in that time, or just go with the flow of friends you will make on board. Meal times are 'Open' seating with people choosing who they want to dine with , or those they want to avoid. WE are now River cruise converts this will be out 5th [haveing done Big Ships a number of times and there is just no comparison, and have already booked the Douro for spring 2013, so go and enjoy you will love it. any futher questions just ask,

Mike

Edited: 26 February 2012, 07:10
Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: River Cruise - Amsterdam to Budapest

MikeBR: You will like the Duoro cruise. It's quite different than the Rhein, etc. cruises. For one, you don't travel at night, so you can enjoy the river. Most bus excursions are well worth taking. A highlight was the day in Salamanca. There we did our own thing. It's very compact, and we could visit more places than had we taken the walking tour.

We added a couple of full days in Lisbon in advance of the cruise bus leaving Lisbon, and then added a couple nights, taking the high speed train from Porto to Lisbon. Up front, we stayed in the same hotel as the cruise (Le Meridien), at the end we stayed at a hotel in the World Fair's district. Both locales are quite different and we had the opportunity to explore both and eat at different places. On the day of our departure it was just a short taxi ride to the airport.

From the Le Meridien we walked to the bus stop of the "hop -on/ hop-off" bus. which is a great way to see some of the city and visit the sights,like the coach museum, the monastery, Belen tower and Explorer Monument and eat Belen custard.. We also took a cab to visit the tile museum, well worth. Has a great little restraurant in the former monastery garden..

Edited: 26 February 2012, 17:42
Custer, South Dakota
Level Contributor
1 post
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: River Cruise - Amsterdam to Budapest

We are on the cruise now: May 16-30. Hope your cabin is not on the 300 level. Too noisy with the lounge at the end. We're on 100 level, below and it is a very good location. Not traffic, except for the people assigned to the cabins.

Portions of food very small at dinner. Six course meals and all the food could fit on one dinner plate. Not real tasty. Presentation better than the dinner meal. Breakfasts are good and lunches great. Crew very nice. Accomodations great; beds and baths very nice and comfortable. Great TV reception and wifi in rooms.

Dress casual. During the day temp is 75-80. Do not need a lot of dressy clothes. Can get away with a few dark pants and various shirts for mix and match.

Main Beach...
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: River Cruise - Amsterdam to Budapest

Hi, I hope you enjoyed your tip. We start our cruise on July 1st. Do you think jeans, t Shirts, cardigan and walking shoes are appropiate for day wear? What was one thing you wished you had brought?

Main Beach...
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: River Cruise - Amsterdam to Budapest

Dress

Main Beach...
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: River Cruise - Amsterdam to Budapest

Hi,

I'm so confused as to what to pack to wear during the day. We are leaving July 1st for Amsterdam to Budapest cruise. Can you help?

Thanks