We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 week self drive Western Europe suggestions

forresters beach nsw
Level Contributor
4 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
8 week self drive Western Europe suggestions

Planning an 8 -10 week self drive of Europe in the middle of 2013 leasing a car car from Paris. Looking for some interesting itineries that don't include the the capital cities most of which have previously visited.

We are open to any recommendations for all or part of the trip.

Cheers fellow travellers.

Aachen Cathedral (Dom)
Sacred & Religious Sites, Churches & Cathedrals
Markt
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,935 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 week self drive Western Europe suggestions

For some lovely drives in Germany, look at what I wrote in tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187293-i117-k5123… , #2 in tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187277-i1094-k516… and tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187276-i703-k4853… . For my wife and I, it doesn't get better than this.

Edited: 25 February 2012, 09:35
Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
15,534 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 week self drive Western Europe suggestions

It´s somewhat difficult to give some suggestions because 1. I don´t know what kind of areas you would prefer: rural landscapes and villages and or urban areas with towns and cities and b) there are so many areas that are worth a visit:-).

Here are some parts of Germany which I would recommend:

North Sea Coast, perhaps together with Hamburg,

Muensterland with all the moated castles,

Ruhr Area - an industrial area,but with a lot of "green",

Rhine Valley,

the Rhön with Fulda(!), baroque town and my birthtown:-), and Thuringia,

and all the areas recommended by marcopolko.

There are many more destinations to explore and I´m sure (and hope) that you will get some more suggestions:-)

BTW, you shouldn´t miss Belgium with Brugge and Gent and The Netherlands with Amsterdam (already seen?) and some very nice areas at this country.

Edited: 25 February 2012, 10:06
Frankfurt
Level Contributor
543 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 week self drive Western Europe suggestions

As stated by the previous posters a bit more detail would be useful.

One rough high-level itinerary could be to go south from Paris, maybe head to Bordeax, then along the South of France, into Italy, Switzerland, Alsace and then back to Paris. Might be a bit much for 8 weeks.

An alternative could be to do a more northern tour Paris, Champagene, Luxembourg, Belgium, The Netherlands, Cologne, Rhein, Alsace and back to Paris.

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
569 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 week self drive Western Europe suggestions

I'm sure you can spend 8-10 weeks in any european country without getting bored.

Since you have posted in a Germany forum I'll try to come up with a nice route that involves a good part of Germany.

From Paris head north to the Flanders region and visit Brugge, Ghent, Antwerpes and, if interested in WWI history, Ypres. Brussles is close if you haven't been there. That should use up the first week.

Next week will be spend in the Netherlands, visit The Hague, Delf and Amsterdam. (Should be plenty of optionsif you have been around there before). That should be the second week.

Drive on to Hamburg, do a day trip to Lübeck and Sylt or St.Peter-Ording, the latter being more car-friendly. That should be 4 more days. 3 more days in the Harz mountains and week 3 is full.

Have you been to Berlin before? If not, go there and week 4 is full.

Continue to Dresden and visit the town and nearby Saxonian Switzerland. Your rental contract will probably not allow you to take your car into the Czech Republic. Visit Prague by train from Dresden and leave your car parked there. That would be week 4/5.

Next would be at least one week, maybe even two weeks in Bavaria (Romantic Road, Munich, Fuessen) Drive along the German Alpine Road towards Lindau und up through the Black Forest or down to Switzerland.. Somewhere aorund week 6-7

If you headed north Heidelberg and the Alsace region would be stops on the way to Paris. If you headed south you go through Switzerland.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,935 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 8 week self drive Western Europe suggestions

A nice way to travel for that length of time is to alternate traveling for a week with staying in a place for a week in an apartment. This way you can see many things, and also have the ability to enjoy yourselves somewhere, see some of the major sights and some minor ones, discover excellent places that you never knew existed ("hidden gems"), sit and watch the world go by, and perhaps return to that newly discovered restaurant again for another excellent meal. It also will allow you not to have to eat out every meal, store inexpensive drinks, and also give you a chance to do some laundry.

Oh, don't forget modern Germany and its people, that is as valid a reason for foreign travel as the ancient sights.

There is no need frantically dashing about trying to "see it all", it's an impossibility anyways. I more or less have in my mind a list of places near where I live that I want to visit, but guess what, when we visit a few of them the list does not grow shorter but longer, because we will have discovered other places along the way that we didn't know about that are also interesting.

In and around anywhere in Germany will easily be a week or two, if not months' worth, of excellent places to visit and things to do. For many people living in Germany, their favorite areas are in and around where they live, simply, they know many of the nearby excellent places to visit. With over 30,000 castles and palaces alone, there is no scarcity of places to visit. You don't have to drive to distant places to see excellent sights (for instance see www.schenckguide.com ) when just as good or better might be just nextdoor.

For a driving trip, the best thing that you can do is get good large scale (at least 1:150000) maps of various area that each shows hundreds or thousands of places of interest to tourists of all types that also rate the places, scenic drives, and ALL rural roads. Our best vacation days in Europe have been using such maps to drive about, perhaps selecting one or two of the better or best attractions that interest us, and then visiting other places along the way or nearby (perhaps another 20). Even the unrated attractions can be excellent, and you also have a large choice of such things as: pleasant historic towns; churches; castles, palaces and monasteries whether in ruins or intact; zoos; wildlife parks; amusement parks; museums; mills; monuments; tourist trains; visitable mines; caves; windmills; archaeological sites; bird of prey shows; vista points; scenic roads, rivers and valleys; waterfalls; nature parks; etc.

Go visit those excellent places where you may be the only tourists, or among a handful of others, where you may be the only foreign tourists, and can experience the "real" Germany instead of "tourist Germany" where you may possibly hear more English, Japanese and Chinese than German.

Oh, for a wonderful week's stay in a modern apartment in an old town wall in the old town of Echternach, Luxembourg, have a look at what I wrote in tripadvisor.com/…33506834 , just the most interesting place that I've stayed in Europe. And in a week's stay there, you can almost visit the entire country of Luxembourg.

forresters beach nsw
Level Contributor
4 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 8 week self drive Western Europe suggestions

Thanks for the great suggestions.I've got my AA 1:90000 road book and the ideas so far fit nicely into what my wife and I like.Interesting villages , local festivals and dining with the locals.Multiple mentions of the Alsace region makes it seem the best exit point from Paris to Germany then back via Brugge perhaps or the south from Annecy and the Dordogne area.

Love trip planning!! Keep ideas coming.

7. Re: 8 week self drive Western Europe suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 23:42