We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

EasyJet or British Airways: London-LHR/LGW To Cologne CGN

Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
977 posts
Save Topic
EasyJet or British Airways: London-LHR/LGW To Cologne CGN

Hi

Anybody flown EasyJet during December from Gatwick to Cologne?

Taking my family to Cologne this December for 2 Nights/3 Days to visit their Christmas Market.

Can't book December Flights yet on EasyJet's website.

Any idea what it's likely to cost 6 people flying with EasyJet, or would it be better to go with British Airways from Heathrow, which you can book on line now, and which will cost a total of **GBP 544.00?

Mentioned in this post
The Cologne Christmas Market
The Cologne Christmas...
363 Reviews
Cologne, Germany
Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: EasyJet or British Airways: London-LHR/LGW To Cologne CGN

If the 544 pounds means 90 pounds per person, even if this include tax I'd expect Easyjet to start offering fares below this level. What are the lowest prices on offer now for 2 months hence ? This would be agood indication of what mught be on offer for December. Does it say on the EJ website when they release the December tickets, and do you want to wait that long before having the certainty of having booked ?

Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
977 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: EasyJet or British Airways: London-LHR/LGW To Cologne CGN

HI BigDave.

You can't book any tickets on their website for Dec until I believe, it's end of June. and if your ring them on their 60p a minute phone number you can only book over the phone up to 2 weeks in advance.

I'm just wondering, as it's so near to Christmas unless I get in there quick I could miss out, as no doubt flights with BA will also soon start to fill up.

EasyJets total fare say leaving next Friday, coming back on a Sunday, which is what we will be doing in Dec, is ��160.00, but then again as it's Dec their prices may be a little higher than this nearer the time, also given the fact that the Cologne Christmas Markets are popular.

Cheers.

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: EasyJet or British Airways: London-LHR/LGW To Cologne CGN

For the last weekend in October, Easyjet are 9.99 out and 7.49 back. I think this is half term so demand and prices will grow but clearly both are low now. I think (note I'm not sure) that EJ will start prices at this level for all flights and let the passengers put the rates up by buying the cheaper tickets.

Now when I look at the BA.com website their flights in December are 46 pounds if you take the early flight out / late flight back or 19 out / back if you take this midday flight. The taxes bring this up to 79 pounds per person return. That's a bit less than the figure you have but not much.

I would guess that you'd have a good chance of getting a 30 pound return plus taxes of 9.50 if you wait for the Easyjet seats. However there is some supposition in this and its your call.

Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
977 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: EasyJet or British Airways: London-LHR/LGW To Cologne CGN

Big Dave-Thanks for helping out.

I'm going to wait until the end of this month to see if EasyJet put their December flights on their website.

If they don't and I find that the ticket prices are rising on BA's site, indicating that people are buying up their seats, I may have to book with BA, failing which I may not be able to book the days I want at all.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,147 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: EasyJet or British Airways: London-LHR/LGW To Cologne CGN

Hi

We flew out a few weeks ago with Easyjet and the total cost per return flight was 14GBP (including taxes). I don't know how they do it.

Checkin was quick and efficient, flight on time, new clean plane and crew polite and helpful. What more could you want.

We stayed at the Hilton, which is very close to the main square, where I believe the Christmas market is, and is a fantastic hotel, with excellent rooms and service. Be careful which hotel you chose as lots of them are over the river and quite a distance from the centre.

Cologne wasn't great though, we wouldn't go there again. Bonn on the other hand which is very close is a delightful place to spend a few days.

Jackie

Mentioned in this post
Bonn
Bonn
North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,147 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: EasyJet or British Airways: London-LHR/LGW To Cologne CGN

Hi

More advice

Easyjet are now begining the process of putting out their winter flights. Don't forget that Easyjet have a price promise and if you book you flights at one price and they drop the following week you can contact them and get your price reduced. I did this a few weeks ago and they gave me a credit note to get a reduction on a later flight. It is quite a complicated procedure to find the price promise on the website but if this happens post a question and I'll let you know how to do it.

When you book your flight for 6 people, check the price for 6 then check the price for 1. You may find that they have a few seats left at a lower price, if that is the case then just keep increasing the number of people flying until the price goes up. Then you can book as many as possible on the cheaper seats.

We have half a dozen short holidays every year using various budget airlines and it's half the fun getting everything as cheap as possible.

Have a good trip

Jackie

Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
977 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: EasyJet or British Airways: London-LHR/LGW To Cologne CGN

Jackie34:

Thanks for your help.

I checked the BA flights 2 days ago on their website.

Return Flights 9th and 11th Dec for 6, now ��891.00 total, travelling out on morning flight of 9th and returning on evening flight of 11th. Too expensive.

I have now subscribed to EasyJets's email service, and onlast friday received confirmation of their new Winter 2005 schedule, though this excluded London Gatwick. Apparently they will be releasing their new Winter schedules in batches from 16th June so I am hoping this will be in the next few days, as once this appears I can see lots of people heading for the website to book up those Flights for places like Cologne and the Christmas Markets.

Hanover, Germany
Level Contributor
1,277 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: EasyJet or British Airways: London-LHR/LGW To Cologne CGN

Did you check -- www.GermanWings.com -- ? I think they have some reasonable fares in december. For opinions about German Wings have a look at

www.airlinequality.com/Forum/germanwings.htm

Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
977 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: EasyJet or British Airways: London-LHR/LGW To Cologne CGN

Bill:

Thank you.

I have just been on GermanWings website. They have now published their Flights Online for December and for 6 Return Adult Tickets ( even though my 3 children are aged between 12 and 17) is a total of *GBP 475.00 which is a good price. Better than BA *GBP 891.00.

Are they are good Airline in your Bill-Have you travelled with them?

Please forgive me saying so, but my Son is the only one in my family who is studying German at Advance level at school which is one of reasons why I want to go to Cologne for a long weekend, not least also because of the much reported Christmas Markets.

Will the Airline or indeed some of the German people in Cologne take slight offence if we start to communicate with them in English?

My son should be able to do most of the takling and I would like him to try his best in German because I believe you should at least try to show you want to speak the language, without taking for granted that people will respond to you in English providing they too speak English.

Has anyone else flown with German Wings in this forum and they recommend them?

Hanover, Germany
Level Contributor
1,277 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: EasyJet or British Airways: London-LHR/LGW To Cologne CGN

Never travelled with German Wings but I think they are comparable with other low budget airlines. As far as I know the company is partially owned by Lufthansa. It's probably no great problem to communicate with airline staff in English because it's the standard language for air travel.

English is mandatory in german schools, so a lot of people should speak a little English, but perhaps the bus driver you ask won't because he has left school 25 years ago.