We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

River Boats

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
Save Topic
River Boats

I am planning on renting a car in Cologne, and then driving south as close to the river as possible to Koblenz and beyond. But now I am thinking of going to Koblenz another way and rent the car there. Obviously I can go by train. Can you see the river from the train? But, I was wondering, are there (as on the Thames in London and in Bermuda) 'water taxis' or river ferries, or other boats (not the River Cruise Boats) that one can board in Cologne and go to Koblenz on?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,362 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: River Boats

The most scenic part of the Rhine is south of Koblenz till Bingen. There are also railroads on both sides of the river. And as the towns (apart from Koblenz) are small it's not far to the boat piers. Thus you can do any boat/train combination you like.

KD boats

http://www.welterbe-mittelrheintal.de

> that one can board in Cologne and go to Koblenz on

No. Not in this direction. Only in the opposite direction there is one daily connection.

There are ferries (there are no brigdes between Koblenz and Mainz) which connect one side of the river with the other. A means to cross the river, but not a means for sightseeing.

My recommendation: train to Bingen and from there downstream by boat to Braubach, visiting Marksburg castle and back by train to Cologne.

http://www.marksburg.de/

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: River Boats

Sorry..by 'ferries' I meant ones going up stream and downstream, not crossing from bank to bank. I have a road map and can see that one needs to be careful to cross at certain bridges, or you will miss certain sites and have to back track.

Seattle area
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: River Boats

For one Rhein boat company on the river, try

k-d.com, click the British flag on the top right corner for English, then River Cruises, then Timetable, to see their schedule between Bingen and Koblenz, the part as stated prior, is the most scenic (vineyards, castles, traditional villages) along the Rhein. One can thus travel on the K-D independently without a tour.

It's important to have the time table, as the boats go up and down the river between Mainz and Kblenz, with many stops, only a few times a day, especially off season.

Along the same stretch, trains do run right along the Rhein on either side, the locals stopping at almost every village. I have taken the K-D along part of the route (it is a day-long trip if you did the whole thing round trip on the boat) and completed it by train. I usually have a Germanrail pass, which means that I can ride the K-D boat for free with the pass,as well as the train. It's worth it to stop in a village for stroll and a meal and glass of wine or two)--Bacharach, St. Goar, St. Goarhausen are just some that come to mind.

In addition, there are other smaller boat companies that provide short tours. It's easy to find one of these at Koblenz for a shorter trip on the

Rhein.

4. Re: River Boats

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 04:17