We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental Help/Information Please

Which Cologne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
Save Topic
Car Rental Help/Information Please

I am renting a car in Germany and returning it in Germany. No problem in doing that. However, in various places I am noticing that if I plan to drive into Austria, there is some sort of 'problem'. I am wondering if this is the same as the Iberian Peninsular. All cars rented in Portugal CANNOT be taken to Spain. Special cars must be rented for this purpose as well as additional insurance must be taken out. You must inform the agency when renting in Portugal that the car is being taken into Spain. That way, you will get the required car. Is this the problem here? Any help with information is gratefully received.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,142 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental Help/Information Please

There are no restrictions if you rent a car in German on driving into Austria or Switzerland.

What you should however be aware of is that you need a vignette (toll sticker) if you plan to use autobahns in Austria.

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5,091 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental Help/Information Please

As the previous poster said, there are no limitations taking the car to Austria (or any other civilized European Country). However on the motorway you will need a road toll sticker. In the winter in Tirolean Austria (at least, not sure if other parts of Austria as well) you will need to have winter tyres. These are an option in German rental cars.

As per insurance, save money and get an own insurance, see http://www.insurance4carhire.com/

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental Help/Information Please

Thank you for the information. I assume that I will buy the 'vignette' at the first place where you enter at Passau. Can you tell me the price of the sticker? I will be driving and economy sized car, a VW Golf. Is it based on the number of days in Austria, or just a one time tax for as long as I like?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,142 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental Help/Information Please

http://www.asfinag.at/index.php?idtopic=504

5. Re: Car Rental Help/Information Please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 11:17