We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Only have one night in Cologne. What to do?

Which Cologne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
34 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Only have one night in Cologne. What to do?

I'm a big beer fan but my wife likes the museums, churches and loves the Hop On Hop Off (HoHo) Buses. Any advice for us as first time visitors? Thanks.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
34 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Only have one night in Cologne. What to do?

BTW we will be staying at the Hyatt across the bridge from the Cathedral.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
409 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Only have one night in Cologne. What to do?

I have been to Cologne three times. I think the city is really nice and the people are great. Definatly you go to the Dom, depending on when you get there there are normally tours in English, which I found the tourguides there to be very knowledgeable. Besides the great Gothic Cathedral, Cologne has a great assortment of Romanesque churches that might interest her as well, many within walking distance. Take a stroll down by the Fischmarkt.

You can choose one of many wonderful brewery/restaurants, all around the Dom, Fruh am Dom being a popular one, my favorite being just up from Gross St. Martin's Church or Brauhaus Sion for a few very tasty local Koelsh, a top fermented beer served cold in small glasses that just keep coming until you tell them to stop.

If you are looking for anything fancier and more than the local regional food fare, which is good by the way, the other area to go for more bars and restaurants in the Belgian Quarter, a little bit farther West of the Cathedral square.

I can't wait to go back in September, enjoy it is a great city with great people!

Hope this helps.

Oregon
Level Contributor
549 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Only have one night in Cologne. What to do?

Will you be there on a Tuesday evening? If yes, check the Dom for the summer organ concerts. Usually start at 8 pm, but be there EARLY with something soft to sit on (those pews are hard). The acoustics are great in there and it's really something to experience. They are free, but a donation is hoped for at the end.

Be aware if you have limited time, that you check the times of the Dom services. They will shoo out everyone not there for worship at certain times and they can get a bit grumpy about it.

The Museum Ludwig and the Wallraf-Richartz are my two favorite museums in Koln. Especially the Wallraf. The Germanisches-Romano museum is interesting too.

Definitely take a stroll along the Rhine too.

I'll be back for my 4th visit in 2 years in a few weeks. There's so much to enjoy about this city! Have fun!

You really can't go wrong with Koln. It's easy to navigate and lots of nice things to see and do, even if you just walk around a bit. The tourist information office (not far from the Dom and Hauptbahnhof) is quite helpful and a good resource.

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,900 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Only have one night in Cologne. What to do?

Both former posters have already given you good suggestions.

If you have such a limited time I would suggest to stay in the Altstadt area or close by too. There you will find all, wonderful old churches, museums, and of course the famous Brauhäuser.

I can´t decide which museum I like more, the Wallraf Richartz or the Museum Ludwig:-) Another pretty interesting museum is the Rautenstrauch -Joest Museum, ethnology and culture, somewhat innovative and disputed but I like it too.

www.museenkoeln.de/homepage/default.asp…

And if you are exhausted from all the sightseeing you might have a nice cold Kölsch in any Brauhaus or cafe.

BTW, as you are staying just across the Rhine, don´t miss this beautiful view to the skyline of the Altstadt of Cologne. Each time I cross the bridge I´m impressed once more again:-).And when you arrive at the main station you will be overwhelmed by the magnitude of the cathedral, I´m sure.

Enjoy your trip

patara01

Edited: 14 July 2011, 22:18
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
34 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Only have one night in Cologne. What to do?

"Brauhaus Sion for a few very tasty local Koelsh, a top fermented beer served cold in small glasses that just keep coming until you tell them to stop."

Loving this plan.

As for our limited time frame, we arrive in Koeln HBF @ 11:15am and are leaving the next day at 2:41pm. That would give us about 8 hours afternoon and evening touring time on Monday and about 4 or 5 hours in the morning on Tuesday. Now we are really bummed to miss out on the Tuesday evening events. given this schedule we hope to be able to capture a flavor of the city.

This is only the first trip we are going to make to Cologne not the last. We are thinking of it as a scouting mission for a longer stay the next time.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,878 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Only have one night in Cologne. What to do?

> Hyatt across the bridge

From the Hyatt and the Hohenzollern Bridge you have the best view in town. Forget the HoHo buses. Just walk over this railway (+ pedestrian) bridge.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/archive/3/36/20100116163215!Hohenzollernbr%C3%BCcke_K%C3%B6ln.jpg

> I'm a big beer fan but my wife likes the museums, churches

You have all right there.

First the cathedral. Next to it on the left the Museum Ludwig (you can see the "wave" roof on the above photo) and the Roman-Germanic Museum.

www.museenkoeln.de/homepage/default.asp…

Next to these 2 museums the Altstadt (old city) with its brewery pubs starts.

http://www.nicecity.de/english/breweries.htm

Kölsch (Cologne beer) comes in small glasses. And Cologne cuisine is also something you can finish fast. Ideal for a short stopover.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%B6lsch_%28beer%29

A bit further in the Altstadt there is Gross St. Martin (another bigger church), the old city hall and the Wallraf-Richerts-Museum.

http://www.bilderbuch-koeln.de/Fotos/35315

All rather close together. Mostly in pedestrian zones.

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,900 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Only have one night in Cologne. What to do?

That´s a pity, but the museums are closed on Monday! You can only visit the churches and the treasures of the churches.

www.koelner-dom.de/index.php?id=19167&L=1

www.romanische-kirchen-koeln.de/kirchen.html

In St. Ursula you can visit the Golden tTeasury (Charnel house)

So you can have a long and extended stroll around the city with many stops for a Kölsch:-)).

And on Tuesday you should choose one museum, that´s enough for some hours.

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,900 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Only have one night in Cologne. What to do?

I have just noticed that the Golden Treasury of St. Ursula is closed for renovations on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

BTW, all these suggestions have roused an urgent desire to have another visit at Cologne very soon:-))!

Mobile, AL
Level Contributor
69 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Only have one night in Cologne. What to do?

We recently went to Koln and also stayed at the Hyatt. If you get off the train at Koln hlf there is a pedestrian walkway to avoid the stairs. It is located at the first platform closest to the main entrance. So you would have to come up to that platform instead of exiting the main station at plaza level. If you exit at plaza level, there is whole bunch of steps to go up to get to the pedestrian bridge that goes across the river to the Hyatt.

Check your train schedule. It is easier to get off at the Deutz/Messe stop and walk 1 block to the hotel. I used my iPhone a lot to check the db timetables and sort out the train information. If you don't have the proper German characters on your keyboard for their "o" the db timetable won't find names right away.

The views from the Hyatt are very beautiful and the rooms are very large. Enjoy!

Mobile, AL
Level Contributor
69 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Only have one night in Cologne. What to do?

We recently went to Koln and also stayed at the Hyatt. If you get off the train at Koln hlf there is a pedestrian walkway to avoid the stairs. It is located at the first platform closest to the main entrance. So you would have to come up to that platform instead of exiting the main station at plaza level. If you exit at plaza level, there is whole bunch of steps to go up to get to the pedestrian bridge that goes across the river to the Hyatt.

Check your train schedule. It is easier to get off at the Deutz/Messe stop and walk 1 block to the hotel. I used my iPhone a lot to check the db timetables and sort out the train information. If you don't have the proper German characters on your keyboard for their "o" the db timetable won't find names right away.

The views from the Hyatt are very beautiful and the rooms are very large. Enjoy!