We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost effective travel option from the Midlands UK to Cologne

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,192 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Cost effective travel option from the Midlands UK to Cologne

Hi - does anyone know of the most cost /time effective way to travel to Cologne from the Midlands in the UK please... looked at Ryanair / Easy jet nothing there.... found flights from Birmingham via Amsterdam but nothing direct..... are there any other options please... how good/bad is a train journey?

Thanks for any advise.....

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,569 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost effective travel option from the Midlands UK to Cologne

http://www.bmibaby.com

flies East Midlands to Cologne

Edited: 01 November 2011, 10:40
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,569 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost effective travel option from the Midlands UK to Cologne

http://www.germanwings.com

and

http://www.tuifly.com

fly Manchester to Cologne/Bonn Airport (CGN)

and Rynair flies from Leeds to (Düsseldorf-)Weeze Niederrhein Airport (NRN).

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Start: CGN

Start: NRN

Destination: Cologne

and select as means of transport "only local transport". Cologne Airport to anywhere in Cologne is EUR 2,50 per person. Also the tickets from Weeze Airport to Cologne are valid to anywhere in Cologne (i.e. include the S-Bahn, trams and buses in Cologne).

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,192 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cost effective travel option from the Midlands UK to Cologne

hey thank you so much totally forgot about bmi out of ema.... thanks again....all sorted...

Birmingham, UK
Level Contributor
605 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cost effective travel option from the Midlands UK to Cologne

Glad you got sorted.

It's now a big problem for people in this area to get to Germany, there are no direct flights to CGN after Tui stopped the service from BHX.

Then Ryanair stopped the service to Weeze, now we are left with rip off fares by Flybe to Dusseldorf.

Lufthansa also flies to Dusseldorf or Frankfurt, but prices are approx £100, then train fares have to be factored in.

Hope another airline fills this slot soon, if they ever read this please Easyjet start a service BHX to CGN.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,258 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cost effective travel option from the Midlands UK to Cologne

abalada , good information re flights from EMA. Used BMI Baby in March from EMA but the service had been withdrawn when I needed to travel in June. Used KLM then from Birmingham via Amsterdam.

Assuming that there was no service I wouldn't have checked BMI Baby.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,192 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cost effective travel option from the Midlands UK to Cologne

Thanks guys... is there more than one airport in Cologne.. daughter & BF may be moving there in january- not sure what district yet tho!

I know when I looked at Lufthansa - they kept quoting a station (I assume rail way station ??) in Colgne..... maybe I need more actual facts before I ask any further questions but do appreciate your help....

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,569 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cost effective travel option from the Midlands UK to Cologne

> is there more than one airport in Cologne

No. Only Cologne/Bonn Airport (CGN).

> Lufthansa - they kept quoting a station (I assume rail way station ??) in Colgne

That's the AIRail service from Lufthansa.

In this case the flight ticket includes the trip with ICE trains from Frankfurt Airport to Cologne Hbf (main train station - IATA code QKL)

lufthansa.com/online/…

This is however mostly interesting with intercontinental flights to Frankfurt Airport as with such flights the AIRail service is included (but must be booked).

Many airlines offer also Rail&Fly tickets. E.g. useful when flying to Frankfurt for Cologne as these tickets are cheap (mostly around EUR 25) and travel time from Frankfurt Airport to Cologne is just 1 hour by ICE trains.

Rail&Fly partner airlines

bahn.de/p/view/mdb/pv/pdf/diverse/rail___fly…

as an example: Lufthansa on Rail&Fly

lufthansa.com/online/…

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,258 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cost effective travel option from the Midlands UK to Cologne

If you fly in to Cologne you can get the train from the airport straight into Central Cologne [Hbf Bahnhof?]. "In the shadow of Cologne Cathedral {Dom}. There are other stops on way in if that proves more convenient

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,192 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cost effective travel option from the Midlands UK to Cologne

thanks guys appreciate that and will come back when I have more information......

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,192 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cost effective travel option from the Midlands UK to Cologne

Thanks everyone for your help- daughter & Bf are out there now so we will be using BMi baby.... can anyone tell me how long it will take to drive to the airport from the Park Inn by Raddison Koln Belfortstrabe please....is it an easy drive?

Many thanks