We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rhine cruises

Which Cologne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wilmington, Ohio
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Rhine cruises

I am wanting to take a boat ride down the Rhine, any suggestions for companies or the best place to start/finish? one way or two way is an option . I have had some problems looking up places so even some websites would be helpful. Thanks

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,014 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rhine cruises

The best part to cruise lies between Bingen and Braubach (just south of Koblenz.) K-D is the main cruise operator. That segment takes 3 hours from south to north. The return trip is FIVE HOURS (upstream) and of course repeats the same scenery, so unless you relish boredom, just cruise one way, and always south to north. If you don't want even 3 hours, you can start in Bingen and cruise to St. Goar, or start in Bacharach and cruise to Braubach (both options about 2 hours) and still see a lot.

www.k-d.de

Braubach is a good place to disembark - the Rhine's best castle tour is there: www.marksburg.de

Rheinfels Castle in St. Goar is good too: http://www.st-goar.de/17-1-.html

The cruise is enjoyable but it's really the castles and the villages that are worth seeing - and you can't enjoy them if you're on a boat all day. Bacharach, Linz, and Boppard are a few of my favorite towns in the area.

You'll need to catch a train south if you're starting in Cologne, of course (you posted under Cologne.) Be sure to show your train ticket for a discount on the boat; a railpass of some kind usually means a free K-D cruise (you'll have to use a railpass day on flexipasses though.)

Wilmington, Ohio
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rhine cruises

ok...thanks for the help!!

Detroit, Michigan
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rhine cruises

I read your post today. We will go to Germany in June. I already booked 2 nights stay in Koblenze and plan to spend a whole day on Rhine cruise. What is your suggestion? Take train to Bingen, then take one way KD Rhine boat, and take some stops?

Thanks

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,014 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rhine cruises

"I already booked 2 nights stay in Koblenze and plan to spend a whole day on Rhine cruise. What is your suggestion?"

My suggestion is not to spend your whole day on a boat. 2-3 hours of cruise time is plenty. Start in Bingen and cruise north. Bacharach, St. Goar (Rheinfels Castle), Boppard and Braubach (Marksburg Castle) are the most interesting stops. You can reach them by train too.

Schedule: k-d.de/english/…c572

If you aren't using a railpass, a daypass called the Rhineland-Pfalz ticket will help you get to the other towns and back to Koblenz before and after your cruise; it's 21 Euros for one, 25€ for two; details here: vrminfo.de/en/…

Your train ticket gives you a discount on the K-D cruises.

I would also suggest staying in one of the first 3 villages if possible instead of Koblenz. Koblenz is OK, but if you plan to stay near the station, it's not very scenic or interesting.

Edited: 05 April 2012, 05:41
mx
Level Contributor
35 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rhine cruises

Please advice, going to koblenz the 26 of june, planned on sating 2 nights but after reading the reviews it seems not as lovely. What do you reccomend, we thought on doing a cruise to see the castles ( but how do we get to the castles ? ) we are 2 adultas and 5 children ./....

Boppard, Germany
Destination Expert
for Boppard
Level Contributor
1,666 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rhine cruises

To see the castles, follow the advice Russ gave in his first answer. Burg Rheinfels (St. Goar) and Marksburg (Braubach) are on hills that can be reached from the towns either on foot or by little "trains".

You can also reach these and many other places by train from Koblenz. Ticketwise, it all depends on where you are going and how old your children are:

With the Rheinland-Pfalz ticket mentioned above, you can take all YOUR OWN children under 15 along for free.

If you do not travel beyond Oberwesel and Kaub, a VRM mini group ticket could turn out cheaper, if at least 2 of your children are under 6:

vrminfo.de/en/…c422

This is good for up to 5 persons. Children under 6 travel for free anyway.

7. Re: Rhine cruises

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2014, 06:17