We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 weeks in Cologne

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
4 weeks in Cologne

I've got the opportunity to study a 4 week course in Cologne this summer for the whole of august and was wondering whether there are enough things to see and do there in my spare time, so that it stays interesting throughout the weeks? My other option is Munich, so any advice on which city would be best to spend the time in would also be good!

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
1,075 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 weeks in Cologne

You can spend the weekends in other places like amsterdam or even paris. If you book transport now you should be able to get a good price.

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
15,679 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 weeks in Cologne

From Cologne you can visit the Ruhr Area, a very interesting former miner and industrial area, you can have some trips along the Rhine Valley, to the Eifel, to the Münsterland with all the moated castles, Sauerland and Bergisches Land, very scenic hilly landscapes, there is Aachen, and it´s just a hop across the border to Belgium (Brussel, Brugge, Antwerpen, Gent) and to The Netherlands (Amsterdam, the North Sea, ASO).

Munich is very close to the Alpes, to some gorgeous lakes (eg Chiemsee), it´s not far from Switzerland and Austria.

Although I´m an absolutely Cologne fan I`m hesitating if I wouldn´t prefer Munich in your case, there are so many nice places in the Allgau and the Alpes, especially convenient in summertime.

Edited: 12 May 2012, 14:04
Birmingham, UK
Level Contributor
614 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 weeks in Cologne

Maybe if you told us what you enjoy in your spare time you could get some advice on what is available.

4. Re: 4 weeks in Cologne

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 21:17
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now